Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell
    Quote Originally Posted by Pego
    I did a little calculation. 275 years equals between 18 and 19 generations (if you allow 15 years/generation). 3 surviving children per couple would amount to close to 1.5 mil heads. Since the name follows the male side, half of it is very close to those 800,000 Marlow/Tafnuts.
    I don't think the average parenting age has ever been 15. Try 25.
    My understanding is that 15 is generally considered a generation. I don't understand the reasoning myself and never dwelled on it.
    Interestingly enough, entering 25 instead of 15, you arrive to a similar number with roughly 3.5 offsprings per generation instead of 3.

As far as my family's genealogy in the New World is concerned, you guys have to wait 300 yars to see, how many Pegos there are :-).
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell
    I assume that historically children reached adulthood sooner. Delayed marriage and reproduction are relatively new.
    Knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Kritzler
    JRM,
    Was Neil Cusack the bar owner?
    Nope, not Neil. There were actually two Cusack's pubs in the town, neither of which had an owner by that name.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy
    I assume that historically children reached adulthood sooner. Delayed marriage and reproduction are relatively new.
    Powell said it, not I.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

5. Collapse Details

Powell said it, not I.
    Corrected.

6. Collapse Details

If you start at let's say 17 (almost certainly too low to be an average even in the old times but to keep you happy...) and get 9 children (as per rasb's ancestry) at a rate of one child/2 years you still arrive at an average parenting age of 25.

7. Collapse Details

In summary, Marlow's figure is probably correct within an order of magnitude.

8. Collapse Details

Administrator
    My mother didn't have me (first child) until she was 29 (WWII and all that). Her mother had 4 daughters, starting when she was 40 and continuing through 44.

With that kind of "generation" history, I never knew either of my grandfathers, and when I was in elementary school refused to believe the other kids when they said they had great-grandparents, becuase it was obviously they'd have to be like 200 years old!

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh
    Fortunately, all 800,000 of them don't suffer from the same compulsive posting disorder or the whole worldwideweb would have crashed years ago.
    Or . . . we a secret cabal who are collectively responsible for the explosion of data on the Information Superhighway! Speaking of posting, if we added up all your early sign-ins and aliases, you'd be at about the same number as I am. You posted once, "RHIP". Is that what it's all been about these 6 years?

10. Collapse Details

Genealogy has long been a fascinating topic for me, and at the moment I am spending more time on that, than anything else.
    The Internet is still exploding exponentially with new data being posted almost every day, if you know where to look. Don't forget that by the time you get back 10 generations, you need to search 2038 surnames, other than your current name, to find your roots.
    Just in the last new week, I have met 3 "cousins" on the Net, whose shared family history goes back many generations with mine.
    One of our families, (not my paternal surname), has been traced back from Canada to the USA to England to Normandy to Scandinavia, right back to the point where reality and Norse legends intersect. (Around the 6th century AD)
    And then another several generations prior to that are also suggested.
    I always wanted to be descended from Viking gods :)
    As others have pointed out, the more generations you go back, the more likely you are to have connections to well-known historical figures.
    I have found severalof our family names that have connections to the Royal Families of England, and many other Royal Families in Europe. William the Conqueror is in this list also.
    Interesting to see descent from families on sides of the American Revolution, both sides of the English Civil War, both sides of the Battle of Hastings, etc.
    Warning - this stuff can get very addictive...