Facts, Not Fiction

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    I don't think so. My NA ancestry is from my maternal side and I am pretty sure who my mother was.
    I once read somewhere that most folks whose Oklahoma roots date back to the 19th century have some American ancestry, which means you would be the exception if you didn't.

2. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    I once read somewhere that most folks whose Oklahoma roots date back to the 19th century have some American ancestry, which means you would be the exception if you didn't.
    and if you didnt you claimed that you did so as not to look like a criminal squatter on Indian territory.

3. Collapse Details

My Choctaw/Creek ancestors were uprooted from Georgia in 1840s Trail of Tears, took the southern route to Indian Territory, paused a generation in Mississippi, on to Texas for some Comanche seasoning for a generation, invaded Okla from the south circa 1900, integrated and assimilated into my great grandfather's Cornwall, UK tribe.
    Actually, my paternal grandfather did "squat" on Indian land, homesteading in 1902 when Kiowa-Comanche Big Pasture, the last unsettled reservation in Oklahoma, was opened to homesteading.
    Last edited by lonewolf; 09-05-2019 at 10:30 PM.

4. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    My Choctaw/Creek ancestors were uprooted from Georgia in 1840s Trail of Tears, took the southern route to Indian Territory, paused a generation in Mississippi, on to Texas for some Comanche seasoning for a generation, invaded Okla from the south circa 1900, integrated and assimilated into my father's Cornwall, UK tribe.
    Actually, my grandfather did "squat" on Indian land, homesteading in 1902 when Kiowa-Comanche Big Pasture, the last unsettled reservation in Oklahoma, was opened to homesteading.
    good stuff!.. here is a neat read on Big Pasture!
    https://www.okhistory.org/publicatio...hp?entry=BI003

5. Collapse Details

I was born 6 miles from North Fork of Red River, which was Texas-Oklahoma boundary until 2000 when South Fork was officially resolved as border. With river meandering, there are places along the Red River where land and oil wells are now on wrong side of river.