Facts, Not Fiction

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

I did the 23andme and just got my results yesterday. No surprises about my ancestry, but it identified someone as a first cousin. I thought I knew who all my first cousins were (if not where they are), and she wasn't one of them. So I sent her a message, got a prompt response, and we ended up with a nice phone conversation. She's actually a first cousin once-removed, which is to say that she's the daughter of a first cousin. I had been out of touch with that cousin for many years. It turns out that he passed away a few years ago. But we were both glad that we found each other. I've sent her some family pictures that I know she didn't have--she appreciated it.

2. Collapse Details

The only surprise I got in my Ancestry test results is that I had no North American ancestry which I had accepted as an article of faith based stories passed down to me by older paternal relatives. I have met several cousins who were 2nd or below, who also did the Ancestry test but who I didn't know about since they grew up outside of Louisiana. I'm met one 2nd cousin who is the out-of-wedlock child of one of my mother's 1st cousins who only a few people in the family knew about. However, the most interesting surprise is a newfound cousin who was adopted. She recently found her birth mother, who is White, but she won't tell her much about her father except that he was Black and he doesn't know she had his child. She's pleaded with me to help her find her father and based on how she matches me and other relatives I've narrowed it down to 6 people, 3 of whom are dead.

3. Collapse Details

I previously reported that I did Ancestry spit test last year. Ten years ago, Ancestry tracked my mother's Choctaw ancestors back to 1700s . Spit test showed 99% English, 1% North African. It also showed a new unrecognizable family tree of close relatives I never heard of.
    I think they mixed up the spit.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    I previously reported that I did Ancestry spit test last year. Ten years ago, Ancestry tracked my mother's Choctaw ancestors back to 1700s . Spit test showed 99% English, 1% North African. It also showed a new unrecognizable family tree of close relatives I never heard of.
    I think they mixed up the spit.
    The best way to determine if you received the wrong results is to see if your other relatives who tested were correctly identified as your relatives. I seem to recall you saying that some of your children also tested. They should be at the top of your match list and you should share 3400+ centimorgans of DNA with them. Full siblings should be in the 2400-2800 range.

5. Collapse Details

Yes, my relatives tested positive for North American Indian ancestry.. the test was a Xmas gift from my daughter.. she says she will demand a re-do if I can find the test kit.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    Yes, my relatives tested positive for North American Indian ancestry.. the test was a Xmas gift from my daughter.. she says she will demand a re-do if I can find the test kit.
    No, what I mean is did your results correctly identify your daughter as one of your DNA matches? She should have been at the top of your list.

7. Collapse Details

Got a 23andMe test for Christmas. An interesting finding was while I have a very French last name, I have no French ancestry. The little I know about my dad's side is that my ancestor came over from Alsace on the German border. However, our last name is definitely from just outside Paris. He did consider himself German though since on his death certificate Germany was listed as the place of birth.

I've had two relatively close DNA relatives (3rd cousin) contact me to see how we were related and there were no matching family names or known locales. I guess it shows that statistic that 1 in 20 people have a different biological father than who is listed on their birth certificate was probably quite a bit higher back in the day. This may be lonewolf's issue as well.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    No, what I mean is did your results correctly identify your daughter as one of your DNA matches? She should have been at the top of your list.
    No, Ancestry gave me new family tree of people I never heard of.
    Last edited by lonewolf; 09-04-2019 at 04:39 PM.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter Brown View Post
    I guess it shows that statistic that 1 in 20 people have a different biological father than who is listed on their birth certificate was probably quite a bit higher back in the day. This may be lonewolf's issue as well.
    I don't think so. My NA ancestry is from my maternal side and I am pretty sure who my mother was.

10. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter Brown View Post
    I've had two relatively close DNA relatives (3rd cousin) contact me to see how we were related and there were no matching family names or known locales. I guess it shows that statistic that 1 in 20 people have a different biological father than who is listed on their birth certificate was probably quite a bit higher back in the day. This may be lonewolf's issue as well.
    I dont know where that 1 in 20 number comes from, maybe the local dog kennel or fish farm but not from a study of human beings.

I just found out that my father's ancestors came from the area of Cherbourg France, less than 30 miles from some of the landing beaches of D-day, Omaha beach, etc. Apparently these were areas that must have been over populated in the 1600s-1700s, they set sail for New France and never looked back.
    Last edited by user4; 09-04-2019 at 11:09 PM.