Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Oldest record

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Oldest record
    The 4x1500 got me wondering what the oldest record in athletics is. The oldest WR is in the women indoor SP (1977). The oldest Area Record is:800 Metres 1:44.3 Peter Snell 17/12/1938 NZL Christchurch 03/02/1962.

But are there older (national) records? Anybody any suggestions?

2. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Haitian Record of 7.83 by Sylvio Cator in '28 is always a good place to start. I suspect if you mined a list of LJ marks you'd find a lot of ancient gems, since it's the event with the least change historically speaking.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh
    Haitian Record of 7.83 by Sylvio Cator in '28 is always a good place to start. I suspect if you mined a list of LJ marks you'd find a lot of ancient gems, since it's the event with the least change historically speaking.
    How is it that the depth of the 100 and the HJ have progressed so far and the LJ, not so much? Obviously it must be the event where natural talent counts the most, but why more than something like the 100? If we ascribe the 100's progress to faster tracks and more technical training methods, why not the same in the LJ?

4. Collapse Details

Some old South America AR's:

800m: Joaquim Carvalho Cruz BRA (1.41.77) Koln. 26-08-1984
    Decathlon: Tito Steiner ARG (8291) Provo, UT. 23-06-1983
    100m: Robson Caetano Da Silva BRA (10.00) Ciudad de Mexico. 22-07-1988

5. Collapse Details

Peter O'Connor's WR from 1901 survived even longer as the Irish record - it was beaten in 1990 - after 89 years :!:
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

6. Collapse Details

This is a highly interesting thread.

1:44.3 Peter Snell 17/12/1938 NZL Christchurch 03/02/1962.
    That's truly amazing. That's a great time still, and would not shame a fella at any meet, I'd think.

I'm fascinated by the men's Field records all being 13 or more years old. Two of them are 23 years old!

Is it lack of interest, simply the ebb & flow of sports, what? Are the best athletes who combine brute strength and explosiveness going into other sports?
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

7. Collapse Details

79 years old, thanks, amazing, btw on wiki I found the WR he set was 7.93.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by scottmitchell74
    This is a highly interesting thread.

1:44.3 Peter Snell 17/12/1938 NZL Christchurch 03/02/1962.
    That's truly amazing. That's a great time still, and would not shame a fella at any meet, I'd think.

I'm fascinated by the men's Field records all being 13 or more years old. Two of them are 23 years old!

Is it lack of interest, simply the ebb & flow of sports, what? Are the best athletes who combine brute strength and explosiveness going into other sports?
    I think that when there is no "techonological" improvement (like in swimming) it is all about waiting until a "freak" talent arrives. Usain Bolt is such a freak talent. Bubka and Zelezny were freak talents in their events.

Of course, a lot of interest in a special event helps to bring talent into the spot light. For example, these days nobody seems really interested in the mens hammer throw.

9. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    We went over this topic a few years ago.

http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... hp?t=2992&

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Marlow
    How is it that the depth of the 100 and the HJ have progressed so far and the LJ, not so much? Obviously it must be the event where natural talent counts the most, but why more than something like the 100? If we ascribe the 100's progress to faster tracks and more technical training methods, why not the same in the LJ?
    I wondered if your assumption was right.
    I grabbed the ATFS Annual concerning the 1979 season (3 decades ago).

Comparing ATWL 1979 vs. 2009 (current) season

Progression Level top-50 in 100m from 10.22 tot 9.97 = 0.25 = 2,45%.
    Progression Level top-50 in LJ from 8.10m to 8.38m = 0.28m = 3.46%.

Progression of WRs in 100m from 9.95 (A) to 9,58 = 0.37 = 3.72%.
    Progression of WRs in LJ from 8.90 to 8.95 = 0.05 = 0.56%.

So IMHO there's here an optical illusion at work. Bob Beamon is to blame.

But in one aspect you're of cause right. Long Jumping is a natural ability.

Due to much more effective training methods it's now much easier to surpass marks of Paavo Nurmi or runners of the era of Jesse Owens than to jump further than Jesse himself.