Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Dave Laut Killed at Home
    Apparently shot in his back yard while looking for an intruder.

Very, Very Sad News

http://www.venturacountystar.com/news/2 ... d-killing/

2. Collapse Details

Yes, very sad news. I remember him well. So sorry to hear this report.

3. Collapse Details

I knew Dave Laut during his years at UCLA.

A tremendous competitor and a true gentleman. Unassuming and personable, the US T&F community has lost a great champion.

RIP, Dave.

4. Collapse Details

Nice article by a knowledgeable track writer:
    http://www.independent.com/news/2009...aut-1956-2009/

Laut was throwing for Santa Clara HS the first year I started teaching/coaching. Our small school had an old-timey shot area with some telephone poles chained to the ground to block implements from rolling too far into the warm up area. Of course, Laut's first throw completely cleared the logs. After that he throw a couple of safe, short marks that could be measured accurately to make life easy for the officials.

Laut seemed a genuinely nice guy in my few dealings with him.

5. Collapse Details

Administrator
    See link now on front page, which includes video with Laut's wife's lawyer. Reading between the lines, I'm guessing this is going to take a nasty turn. (but hey, that's what law dudes do)

6. Collapse Details

That link is a story from September 8, 10 days ago. Has anything happened since? I am having trouble figuring out what direction this takes: 1) within-family murder; 2) drug use or drug involvement with some complication?; 3)??

7. Collapse Details

Time to call Perry Mason.

8. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235
    That link is a story from September 8, 10 days ago. Has anything happened since? I am having trouble figuring out what direction this takes: 1) within-family murder; 2) drug use or drug involvement with some complication?; 3)??
    As part of the video they noted that the lawyer had defended a woman who had shot her husband in a domestic violence case and it never went to trial.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh
    See link now on front page, which includes video with Laut's wife's lawyer. Reading between the lines, I'm guessing this is going to take a nasty turn. (but hey, that's what law dudes do)
    A nastier turn than being shot in the scone?

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh
    Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235
    As part of the video they noted that the lawyer had defended a woman who had shot her husband in a domestic violence case and it never went to trial.

A least somewhat important to other members of that community in the sense that a domestic crime is a long ways from a random assault/murder by strangers.