Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    USATF Youth Trials
    Anyone following this?

Not sure if the plan to switch from selections to trials will work this first time.

As best I can tell, only one male steeplechaser, only 11 boys in the 100 meter dash?

USATF failure? Dyestat has updated lists of everyone eligible. Do they even talk? Does USATF actively recruit from these lists?

I know all have had long high school seasons, but still. A chance for a World Championships...

2. Collapse Details

The Youth program is in a shambles and has been for as long as I've followed it. Since there seems to be ZERO communication between USATF and the state HS federations, that doesn't surprise me. You can't rely on age-group track clubs to provide the talent. Only a small minority of HS stars belong to a club. The communication has to come to the HSs.

3. Collapse Details

Sorry, Pat, you're just wrong on this one. There is a huge and very active base of youth clubs, especially in your state. Go to a USATF youth meet in Miami some day.

Most high schools trash or ignore any communication about getting their athletes involved in summer track, in my experience.

4. Collapse Details

Administrator
    The selection process before was flawed, they were selecting from meets that are not always well attended by the top preps and communication about selection was unclear.

I thought this was surprisingly well communicated (compared to the past) and selection seems clear.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gm
    Sorry, Pat, you're just wrong on this one. There is a huge and very active base of youth clubs, especially in your state. Go to a USATF youth meet in Miami some day.
    gm, I know my own state! Yes, there ARE big clubs, especially in Miami, Orlando, and Tampa. But they are 99% little kids; they are not the majority of the HS elite. If you want the best to compete, you're going to have to go the HSs, and that's just not being done.

6. Collapse Details

okay, looking at the Dyestat profiles, it does look like some top youth athletes will be there, but certainly not the fields that they could be.

No Nick Vena, but Ryan Crouser still won in a world youth leading mark.

So it looks like we may send 15 possible medal contenders, but frustrating when we could be sending so many more.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by dupontred
    okay, looking at the Dyestat profiles, it does look like some top youth athletes will be there, but certainly not the fields that they could be.

No Nick Vena, but Ryan Crouser still won in a world youth leading mark.

So it looks like we may send 15 possible medal contenders, but frustrating when we could be sending so many more.
    Keep in mind the World Youth Champs is for athletes 17 & under while the U.S. Juniors are for athletes 19 & under. Some of the top HS talent may be too old to compete in the WY Trials, therefore the Juniors were the only option available.

Also, considering the schedule of the Juniors versus the WY Trials, I'm sure that was factor'd into a lot of athletes' scheduling.

8. Collapse Details

USATF, decided on a trial system for the 2009 World Youth Team. I don't think they got it wrong. All of these youth had to meet a certain mark to even try out. These marks are based on passed marks that have medaled at this event. Just like some one said earlier this is 17 to 16 years olds and most of these kids are the top of their age group in performances.

Instead of putting down this field of athletes lets encourage them. USATF did get it right this year!

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Andy4
    USATF did get it right this year!
    When you look at the annual collegiate lists, you can see that the NCAA 'gets it right'. When you look at the USA list, you can see that the USATF meet 'gets it right'. But when you look at the list of athletes who COULD be on the Youth team, it's easy to see that it's FAR from 'getting it right'. Of course the logistics are far more problematic with 16 and 17 year-olds, but the team we send will be far from our best, just like the WUG teams we sent or the U-23 teams we send are far from the best. When US-Soccer sends a U-17 or U-23 team to a world tournament, they get it right. It can be done.

10. Collapse Details
    So who isn't there that should be?
    I will admit to not knowing all of the Elite Youth in each event but to me it seems as if the cream of the crop is in attendance.

Outside of Vena, anyone know why he isn't there? The meet has the best in the country.

Hardy and Purvis are in attendance for the short sprints.
    Dale Morgan is there for the Hurdles.
    Ebony Eutsey is there for the 400.
    Sveinsson in the 1500.
    Brannon and Brewer are both in attendance for the Jumps.
    Same goes for Lavong and Convington in the Long and Triple.
    Crouser just broke the American Record with the 11lb. Shot, which should fuel him to an impressive throw in the disc.
    Briscoe is there in the HJ.
    and I can continue to add to this list.

So outside of Vena... what absolute stud isn't there?