Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Finnish news

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by LopenUupunut
    Not many highlights during the 1st day. The events were weakish, andaAverage weather (cold, rainy) kept marks down even further.

O-P Karjalainen won mHT with 77.76 but still doesn't look like a Berlin medalist. Admittedly, this event looks very weak right now - sub-80 could well medal, even (unlikely) win. mSP was atrocious, with Tuomo Tihinen winning at 18.47. To think that at turn of millennium we had 7 guys over 20 in a year... Tommi Hartonen, NR holder (10.21) in the 100m (but from as far back as '01) staged an impressive comeback, looking great (well, by Finnish standards, apparent 10.3x shape is great) in the heat. (He already looked excellent at Finnish club relay champs early this month.)
    That 400m start list looks atrocious. I should move back to Finland tomorrow.

2. Collapse Details

You should have done that long ago. :wink:

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by LopenUupunut
    You should have done that long ago. :wink:
    Well obviously I had to fulfill my destiny of being the fifth-fastest guy in DIII before I could go and do any of that!

Seriously though, I'd be lying if I didn't at times toy with the idea of what a Valtimaki/Heikkala/Hongisto relay with myself in 2005 form might be able to run. 3:05? Who knows. Either way, there's at least two Finnish athletics fans on here, good enough

4. Collapse Details

Only 9 men got the qualification standard of 76.00 in men's javelin. We still have a decent top end, but the depth's not there. Everyone in the Berlin mix got it with at most 2 throws.

5. Collapse Details

Sub-3:40 1500m (PB, and a real rarity in today's Finland) for Keskisalo in his final pre-Berlin race. He's heading back to St. Moritz for a couple weeks now...

6. Collapse Details

Tommi Evilä 8.19, big SB - perhaps I wrote him off too early, though with the current global level of long jumping it should take much more to medal at Berlin.

560 PB for Eemeli Salomäki should secure him our one spot in the pole vault.

7. Collapse Details

Javelin final today. Results were good considering the conditions (rain, slippery mondo). Pitkämäki called it quits after 2 rounds to avoid risking injury. The rest of them went at it in spite of the conditions for all six rounds like madmen, or Finnish males, which is pretty much the same. Wirkkala looks like a Berlin medalist right now with all throws at 83+. Ruuskanen was also more solid than ever and surely deserves the fourth Berlin spot. Järvenpää had an impressive foul in the ~85 range but was shaky apart from that and nearly missed the last three rounds. Looks like we're sending four serious medal candidates to Berlin and leaving a 85.70 guy home!

1 5 Teemu Wirkkala 85,84 84,34 84,95 X 84,71 83,96 85,84
    2 4 Antti Ruuskanen 84,64 81,77 84,64 81,45 82,12 81,17 83,55
    3 2 Tero Pitkämäki 84,28 84,28 83,41 - - - -
    4 6 Ari Mannio 81,54 X 81,54 X X X X
    5 7 Jarkko Koski-Vähälä 80,22 75,92 74,67 80,22 77,59 74,94 73,95
    6 3 Esko Mikkola 79,90 - X 79,90 76,49 X X
    7 10 Lassi Etelätalo 78,27 70,74 73,28 78,27 73,68 X X
    8 1 Tero Järvenpää 78,26 77,35 X X 78,26 77,25 X
    9 21 Viljo Toivanen 77,00 66,19 75,31 77,00

8. Collapse Details

Final Berlin team selected (SBs included):

Men -
    400mH: Jussi Heikkilä

Hasn't been as strong as last year, and was selected on the strength of a '08 B standard. Advancing from the heats would be a very pleasant surprise.

3000mSC: Jukka Keskisalo

In the form of his life, should make it to the final at least. Could do anything, even win, if the pace is slow enough. A fast final of 8:05 or lower would probably kill his chances though.

High jump: Oskari Frösén

Starting to grow old and hasn't been very consistent this year. Only has a tiny chance of even making the final.

Pole vault: Eemeli Salomäki

Not yet ready to make a big international impact, but he's still young and improving and this will be a valuable experience. Making the final isn't impossible but probably requires a PB in the qualification.

Long jump: Tommi Evilä

After a by his standards mediocre season he finally looked good at the NCs. Even so, I'd be happy with just a spot in the final. Any chance of replicating his medal from '05 hinges on others not performing as well as expected.

Discus: Frantz Kruger

Has been battling huge technical problems the whole year, and didn't even win the national ch'ship, so a top 12 spot would be great.

Hammer: Olli-Pekka Karjalainen

After a reportedly good training winter I expected much more of him this year, but nevertheless he's probably the wild card of our team. With the global level of hammer throwing as weak as it has this year been, if he peaks as neatly as the last three years a medal wouldn't be shocking. Mind you, his going out in the qualification wouldn't be shocking either, since he's never really been a morning session man.

Hammer: David Söderberg

Much less is expected of him. That could be a good thing, since he can only really exceed the expectations. An SB will be required for a spot in the final.

Javelin: Tero Pitkämäki

Defending champ. Has shown good and solid form this year and has many excellent memories of Berlin, including a 2009 Golden League victory. The title defense isn't impossible but appears unlikely.

Javelin: Tero Järvenpää

Something of a question mark, with very few competitions this year after injuries and illnesses. Personally, I'm afraid he could go out in the qualification, since last year's stability isn't there. But if he nails things right anything could happen.

Javelin: Teemu Wirkkala

The upcoming in-form guy, looked super-solid at NCs. With two consecutive comps at 85 plus he seems to have quickly risen to the status of a medal favorite.
    Javelin: Antti Ruuskanen

First big meet after two consecutive years as the first man out, it remains to be seen how well he can adjust to the World Champs atmosphere. If that just turns out to give him extra energy even gold isn't out of the question.

50km walk: Jarkko Kinnunen

His current form is hard to assess, something which due to the low competing rate applies to almost any walker. A top ten finish is hoped for but probably depends on what others do.

Women -
    3000mSC: Sandra Eriksson

Only narrowly got the B standard, she's certainly expected to go out in the heats. Her best years are hopefully still to come.

High jump: Hanna Grobler

A return to form after years of injury woes. A spot in the finals is the aim but will require a near-SB performance at least.

Pole vault: Minna Nikkanen

Has broken the national record many times this year but looked very vulnerable today. Not expected to make the final.

Pole vault: Vanessa Vandy

Exactly the same applies, except that she's only broken the NR once this year.

Hammer: Merja Korpela

She looked very good early this year - if she can recapture that form, making the cut isn't out of the question. More probably not.

Javelin: Mikaela Ingberg

An excellent major meet competitor, this quality will have to be shown again for her to make the final. She's very much at the edge - making the final would be a pleasant surprise, not making it a clear disappointment.

9. Collapse Details

A couple injury notes.

Vandy's knee is a problem, explaining why she had one of her worst meets this year. She might miss Berlin.

More notably, Pitkämäki didn't skip those four throws entirely voluntarily but to avoid turning a minor injury into a major injury. He apparently hurt his leg a bit in the second throw. As things look now, this appears minor enough to be entirely healed by Berlin. But his coach admitted to being worried.

By the way, Thorkildsen 88.55 at Norwegian NCs...

10. Collapse Details

Do you know what Heli Raatanen is up to these days?

Long story but she came and trained in my city (we got an email from her out of the blue in 2001) . I arranged everything for her. Unfortunately she reinjured her elbow while here and had to fly back to Finland for surgery. We lost track of her after that.

I know she was coaching-is she still doing that?