Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    One of the things Robert Cantu said in his talk is that he doesn't think any type of helmet will make a difference - the only thing that will work is to prevent head contact.
    I caught some of a program about where helmets need to go and it was something about making the helmet less 'hard'. It needs to give a little to absorb the hits more successfully. Right now it's so stiff it transfers the blow too directly to the head.
    There was also something about airbags inside that transfer the cushioning to where the blow was received.
    Last edited by Atticus; 11-29-2015 at 02:20 AM.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by xw View Post
    I suppose most can recover fully or nearly fully from one single concussion - who as an active kid hasn't bumped his head some way and blacked out once? The problem of football and boxing or even soccer seems to be their athletes are doing this and subconcussive hits with their head far too often...
    I fear the size of those "helmets" would surpass the ability to keep one's head up while wearing them.

3. Collapse Details

The issue of youth football and it's overall effect on the CTE issue was raised today on a show I was watching. The speaker mentioned that it's not just the concussion problem but the continued blows from an early age which contribute to CTE and that he felt no one should be playing football until HS age. He also mentioned that the NFL is funding the 'get out and play' side of this in order to keep future interest up.

4. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    The present movement to penalize tacking with the head or targeting another players head will make the game much safer. These changes need to be made slowly over time so that the players can adjust to the new rules. New helmet designs can protect against the inadvertent mistakes.

5. Collapse Details

How about removing the helmets altogether? You won't have to teach players not to hit with their heads if you take the helmets away, their sense of self-preservation will prevent them from doing it. Does anyone know how many concussions there are in rugby compared to football?

6. Collapse Details

Are there any concussion/rain damage stats from leather helmet days?

7. Collapse Details

Administrator
    The problem with removing helmets altogether, I fear, is that even with proper tackling technique, there are still dozens of incidents in every game where there is uninentional contact, and with the speed/mass that these guys are bringing to the game, each one is potentially deadly to a bare head.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    Are there any concussion/rain damage stats from leather helmet days?
    I understand leather shrank in the rain, so there was that . . . ;-)

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    How about removing the helmets altogether? You won't have to teach players not to hit with their heads if you take the helmets away, their sense of self-preservation will prevent them from doing it. Does anyone know how many concussions there are in rugby compared to football?
    Here's an interesting article. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...legal-scrutiny

They are different games as rugby players aren't as susceptible to the open field hits that a football player is.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    I played intramural football (flag) in college; I was not very large (150 lbs) but was pretty fast and quick so I played safety. One time there was an under-thrown pass and I went to intercept the ball close to the ground. A teammate also came up but late but soon enough to have his knee hit me in the temple. The next thing I knew I was on the sidelines at half time (15+ minutes later?) when I asked someone what the score was (6-0), then who was winning (we were), then how we scored (I returned an interception to the one-foot line and we scored the next play). I remember none of it, and people were stunned that I did not remember. Then, I went out to play the second half -- but I had to ask which side I played, even though I had played the same position for two years. I have wondered over the years how much of my memory and spelling issues are related to that incident.
    This is the type on concussion I'm talking about, and I've been there myself. You didn't have the wherewithal to know that you had a concussion, so how could you have made a decision to protect yourself? Yesterday, Ben Roethlisberger took himself out of the game after being slightly concussed, despite the fact that no one noticed any concussion symptoms from him. If he had been severely concussed, he would have been totally at the mercy of his coaches, teammates and referees to realize he was concussed and take him out of the game.

http://abc7chicago.com/sports/ben-ro...tocol/1103495/