Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Here's another article on the subject:

http://www.ibtimes.com/what-cte-fran...-brain-2200581

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    Here's another article on the subject
    Interesting. I guess I missed it at the time - that Junior Seau (one of my favorite players) had CTE. That's really eff-ed up.
    The NFL is just now investing in the kinds of new helmet technology that could actually make a difference. The current one, tho hyped for its 'safety', is worthless. All you have to do is read the injury reports every week.
    Case Keenum, much?

3. Collapse Details

The player's union is as at fault as NFL management. They knew this was happening but weren't aggressive enough or downright complicit in the coverup - Gene Upshaw looking at you.

A third entity needs to manage the player's health in game. The team and the player can't be trusted.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by booond View Post
    players can't be trusted.
    Agreed. And that's particularly eff-ed up, because it is NOT just about the $$$; it's also their self-image and ego. They want to play the game so bad, they're willing to gamble on their future health and happiness.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Agreed. And that's particularly eff-ed up, because it is NOT just about the $$$; it's also their self-image and ego. They want to play the game so bad, they're willing to gamble on their future health and happiness.
    Once a player is severely concussed, as opposed to slightly concussed, he lacks the mental capacity to make such decisions. Usually the player has no recollection of the game after being concussed, and from that point on, they're on autopilot. It is sort of like being slightly drunk versus sloppy drunk. I've taken the keys from friends who were sloppy drunk without much resistance. In these cases, the person no longer had the self-awareness to realize that they shouldn't be driving, but they did trust my judgement, which is why they didn't protest. If these same friends had only been slightly drunk, they probably would have decided on their own that they shouldn't be driving.

6. Collapse Details

They don't pay you millions to sit on the bench.

7. Collapse Details

Interesting. I guess I missed it at the time - that Junior Seau (one of my favorite players) had CTE. That's really eff-ed up.
    The NFL is just now investing in the kinds of new helmet technology that could actually make a difference. The current one, tho hyped for its 'safety', is worthless. All you have to do is read the injury reports every week.
    Case Keenum, much?
    One of the things Robert Cantu said in his talk is that he doesn't think any type of helmet will make a difference - the only thing that will work is to prevent head contact.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    One of the things Robert Cantu said in his talk is that he doesn't think any type of helmet will make a difference - the only thing that will work is to prevent head contact.
    I don't have MD behind my name, but I've come to the same conclusion. A few years ago, Roger Staubach lamented the fact that football has become a wussy game compared to the game that he played. I agreed with him then and I agree with him today. The difference is that I used to also lament the fact that football is becoming a wussy game, but now I believe that football needs to be made into a wussy game.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    Once a player is severely concussed, as opposed to slightly concussed, he lacks the mental capacity to make such decisions. Usually the player has no recollection of the game after being concussed, and from that point on, they're on autopilot. It is sort of like being slightly drunk versus sloppy drunk. I've taken the keys from friends who were sloppy drunk without much resistance. In these cases, the person no longer had the self-awareness to realize that they shouldn't be driving, but they did trust my judgement, which is why they didn't protest. If these same friends had only been slightly drunk, they probably would have decided on their own that they shouldn't be driving.
    I played intramural football (flag) in college; I was not very large (150 lbs) but was pretty fast and quick so I played safety. One time there was an under-thrown pass and I went to intercept the ball close to the ground. A teammate also came up but late but soon enough to have his knee hit me in the temple. The next thing I knew I was on the sidelines at half time (15+ minutes later?) when I asked someone what the score was (6-0), then who was winning (we were), then how we scored (I returned an interception to the one-foot line and we scored the next play). I remember none of it, and people were stunned that I did not remember. Then, I went out to play the second half -- but I had to ask which side I played, even though I had played the same position for two years. I have wondered over the years how much of my memory and spelling issues are related to that incident.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    I have wondered over the years how much of my memory and spelling issues are related to that incident.
    I suppose most can recover fully or nearly fully from one single concussion - who as an active kid hasn't bumped his head some way and blacked out once? The problem of football and boxing or even soccer seems to be their athletes are doing this and subconcussive hits with their head far too often...