Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 475
  1. Collapse Details
     
    #11
    Here's another article on the subject:

    http://www.ibtimes.com/what-cte-fran...-brain-2200581
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    12,078
    Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    Here's another article on the subject
    Interesting. I guess I missed it at the time - that Junior Seau (one of my favorite players) had CTE. That's really eff-ed up.
    The NFL is just now investing in the kinds of new helmet technology that could actually make a difference. The current one, tho hyped for its 'safety', is worthless. All you have to do is read the injury reports every week.
    Case Keenum, much?
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Everybody knows this is nowhere
    Posts
    6,278
    The player's union is as at fault as NFL management. They knew this was happening but weren't aggressive enough or downright complicit in the coverup - Gene Upshaw looking at you.

    A third entity needs to manage the player's health in game. The team and the player can't be trusted.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    12,078
    Quote Originally Posted by booond View Post
    players can't be trusted.
    Agreed. And that's particularly eff-ed up, because it is NOT just about the $$$; it's also their self-image and ego. They want to play the game so bad, they're willing to gamble on their future health and happiness.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Agreed. And that's particularly eff-ed up, because it is NOT just about the $$$; it's also their self-image and ego. They want to play the game so bad, they're willing to gamble on their future health and happiness.
    Once a player is severely concussed, as opposed to slightly concussed, he lacks the mental capacity to make such decisions. Usually the player has no recollection of the game after being concussed, and from that point on, they're on autopilot. It is sort of like being slightly drunk versus sloppy drunk. I've taken the keys from friends who were sloppy drunk without much resistance. In these cases, the person no longer had the self-awareness to realize that they shouldn't be driving, but they did trust my judgement, which is why they didn't protest. If these same friends had only been slightly drunk, they probably would have decided on their own that they shouldn't be driving.
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Everybody knows this is nowhere
    Posts
    6,278
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Agreed. And that's particularly eff-ed up, because it is NOT just about the $$$; it's also their self-image and ego. They want to play the game so bad, they're willing to gamble on their future health and happiness.
    They don't pay you millions to sit on the bench.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Interesting. I guess I missed it at the time - that Junior Seau (one of my favorite players) had CTE. That's really eff-ed up.
    The NFL is just now investing in the kinds of new helmet technology that could actually make a difference. The current one, tho hyped for its 'safety', is worthless. All you have to do is read the injury reports every week.
    Case Keenum, much?
    One of the things Robert Cantu said in his talk is that he doesn't think any type of helmet will make a difference - the only thing that will work is to prevent head contact.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #18
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    One of the things Robert Cantu said in his talk is that he doesn't think any type of helmet will make a difference - the only thing that will work is to prevent head contact.
    I don't have MD behind my name, but I've come to the same conclusion. A few years ago, Roger Staubach lamented the fact that football has become a wussy game compared to the game that he played. I agreed with him then and I agree with him today. The difference is that I used to also lament the fact that football is becoming a wussy game, but now I believe that football needs to be made into a wussy game.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    23,475
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    Once a player is severely concussed, as opposed to slightly concussed, he lacks the mental capacity to make such decisions. Usually the player has no recollection of the game after being concussed, and from that point on, they're on autopilot. It is sort of like being slightly drunk versus sloppy drunk. I've taken the keys from friends who were sloppy drunk without much resistance. In these cases, the person no longer had the self-awareness to realize that they shouldn't be driving, but they did trust my judgement, which is why they didn't protest. If these same friends had only been slightly drunk, they probably would have decided on their own that they shouldn't be driving.
    I played intramural football (flag) in college; I was not very large (150 lbs) but was pretty fast and quick so I played safety. One time there was an under-thrown pass and I went to intercept the ball close to the ground. A teammate also came up but late but soon enough to have his knee hit me in the temple. The next thing I knew I was on the sidelines at half time (15+ minutes later?) when I asked someone what the score was (6-0), then who was winning (we were), then how we scored (I returned an interception to the one-foot line and we scored the next play). I remember none of it, and people were stunned that I did not remember. Then, I went out to play the second half -- but I had to ask which side I played, even though I had played the same position for two years. I have wondered over the years how much of my memory and spelling issues are related to that incident.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    the centre
    Posts
    291
    Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    I have wondered over the years how much of my memory and spelling issues are related to that incident.
    I suppose most can recover fully or nearly fully from one single concussion - who as an active kid hasn't bumped his head some way and blacked out once? The problem of football and boxing or even soccer seems to be their athletes are doing this and subconcussive hits with their head far too often...
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •