Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Earthquake Rocks LA
    4.4 this morning at 4:04am! Not technically a big one, but a shallow epicenter depth made for some violent shaking before it was over. Scared the crap out of me and my wife (daughter didn't seem to notice) -- not a fun way to wake up.

2. Collapse Details
    7.2 magnitude today at 3:40pm Pacific, located near Mexicali, MX. Here in Pasadena, over 400 km away, our dining room rolled lightly for about 10 seconds (like being on a boat).

As a comparison, the Haiti quake was 7.0.

3. Collapse Details
    Having grown up in LA I am familiar with the earthquake thing. The 1971 quake was fundamentally different than prior ones for me (and I moved permanently in 1986 so did not get the later big ones). The 1971 quake lasted 61 seconds, which is 'forever' with that shaking going on.

As people may know by now, the 'magnitude' given is a combination of the amount of force and the area over which the force is felt (different force at different points in space), as well as the time dimension. The Haiti quake was much 'smaller' than the Chile one, but the effects were different because: 1) building are better in Chile; 2) the epicenter was closer to population; and 3) the shaking was greater but for a smaller area but that smaller area was much higher in population density (and more vulnerable, see #1).

Of course, JRM can probably give an even better summary that this. Also, the LA Times has a nice section on earthquake stuff here:
    http://www.ktla.com/media/acrobat/2010-03/52771424.pdf

Finally, the frequency distribution of quakes has a small but dangerous tail to the 'far right' that can really cause havoc in a populated area (of course, if you are in areas like Bangladesh, a bad cyclone can kill many, many thousands also.

4. Collapse Details
    7.8 ? in Indonesia...whole lot of shaking going on...

5. Collapse Details
    5.7 on the California/Mexico border last night around 9:30pm Pacific, an aftershock of the Easter Sunday quake. We felt it as another slow roll, due to the distance.

People in San Diego felt it quite a bit more, including some visitors from Canuck-ville:

Padres-Blue Jays game in San Diego interrupted by earthquake

http://blogs.suntimes.com/sportsprose/2 ... san_d.html
    The crowd response? Cheers, of course.

6. Collapse Details
    Re:
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery- chwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
    [quote=bad hammy]
    Quote Originally Posted by "mike renfro":19j2sske
    Tell you what Marlow, I'll take earthquakes over hurricanes any time. With the damn hurricanes, you get to think about it, fret about it, decide what (if anything) to do. The only anqst in an earthquake is waiting for the aftershocks.
    Give me earthquake country vs. hurricane or tornado country any day. Here in the US the death and injury and damage rate for tornados and hurricanes dwarfs that of earthquakes.[/quote:19j2sske]

Difference being I can get out of the way of a tornado or hurricane.
    There are no strings on me

7. Collapse Details
    Re: Re:
    [quote=guru]
    Quote Originally Posted by bad hammy
    Quote Originally Posted by "mike renfro":3cg93j7f
    Tell you what Marlow, I'll take earthquakes over hurricanes any time. With the damn hurricanes, you get to think about it, fret about it, decide what (if anything) to do. The only anqst in an earthquake is waiting for the aftershocks.
    Give me earthquake country vs. hurricane or tornado country any day. Here in the US the death and injury and damage rate for tornados and hurricanes dwarfs that of earthquakes.

Difference being I can get out of the way of a tornado or hurricane.[/quote:3cg93j7f]
    Yeah, we usually have numerous chances every year to see how well that works for people . . .

8. Collapse Details

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery- chwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
    LA just hit with a 7.1, the day after a 6.4.

I blame global warming...
    There are no strings on me

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post

I don't. There's been significant earthquake activity in California for many, many years.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post
    I blame California itself. What would you expect for a place as wacky and unbalanced as it?!