Facts, Not Fiction

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Who is the greatest tennis player of all time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Per Andersen
    Quote Originally Posted by Powell

And you're cherry-picking with your statistics, too. If you look at all the games Navratilova played vs Graf, it's a 9-9 tie.
    I think my statistics were pretty significant, (majors & finals)
    I don't necessarily disagree with Navratilova being the more successful player but I think Graf at her best was the better player.

That's fine but using games were Graff was at her best and Navratilova was past it, isn't affair comparison. If anything it goes in Martina's favour considering she beat her a few times. Both would be my all time contenders, especially as the 80's and 90's produced a number of great women's players which sadly declined this past decade when many Tennis players found that modelling contracts in Tennis was pretty damn good money. That to me is why Williams, as impressive as she is, has had an easier number of grand slams to win,

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by eldanielfire
    the 80's and 90's produced a number of great women's players which sadly declined this past decade when many Tennis players found that modelling contracts in Tennis was pretty damn good money
    I know many people say that, but I wonder if that's really true. Another possibility is that the depth in women's tennis today is much greater, so it's harder for the best players to dominate and win tournaments as consistently as Navratilova and Graf did.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

3. Collapse Details
    I'm a huge Graf fan but if Seles doesn't get stabbed she wouldn't have near the grand slam titles she does now.

I also think in some mythical tournament of the greats playing all the grand slam tournaments that Serena lays waste to everyone. Forget the physical side, her mental strength is on another level.

Also the tennis world today is far more global then it ever has been.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by 502CD
    I'm a huge Graf fan but if Seles doesn't get stabbed she wouldn't have near the grand slam titles she does now.
    I'm sitting hear watching the Australian Open and they mentioned Seles and I started thinking something very similar. Excellent point, 502CD. I think if not stabbed she may have challenged Steffi and even been better. She was the first female to hit the ball really hard on both sides. Not the athlete Graf was, however.

5. Collapse Details
    Graf looked ready to give up the game about the time Seles was stabbed. Serena gets my vote over Martina and Steffi.

Re: GOAT...the Men's game is in the middle of a transition as we are just starting to see that the new generation of players like Grigor Dimitrov taking advantage of changes in concepts of ball striking which started about fifteen years ago. The best is yet to come.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cullman
    Graf looked ready to give up the game about the time Seles was stabbed. Serena gets my vote over Martina and Steffi.

Re: GOAT...the Men's game is in the middle of a transition as we are just starting to see that the new generation of players like Grigor Dimitrov taking advantage of changes in concepts of ball striking which started about fifteen years ago. The best is yet to come.
    Yeah, but its very hard to predict who will ascend to sports Olympus. Although Dimitrov looked impressive in Melbourne, I remember them saying similar things about Marat Safin, that he was going to change the sport. After thrashing Sampras in that US Open final, he was really never heard from again at the very top level.

7. Collapse Details
    Safin did win the 2005 Aussie Open (after SF win over Federer in one of the greatest matches ever). He suffered quite a few (wrist and back) injuries and didn't have a strong enough work ethic to combat the rise of Federer/Nadal. BUT he could be the GOAT for post-match interviews. Smart and very funny (in multiple languages).

My top 5s are: Men Women
    1. Federer 1. S. Williams
    2. Sampras 2. Graf
    3. Laver 3. Navratilova
    4. Borg 4. Court
    5. Nadal 5. Gibson (too short a career)

Sampras arguably had the best first serve (Gonzalez/Ivanisevic might be rivals). But he UNQUESTIONABLY had the best second serve of anyone who ever played. Not even close.

8. Collapse Details

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery- chwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
    Nadal claims Slam #19, and at "just" 33 years old may well pass Serena Williams/Margaret Court by the time he's done. Certainly 25 is reasonable, with 2 or 3 more French titles likely, and at least a couple more hard court slams doable(if he stays healthy).
    There are no strings on me

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post
    Nadal claims Slam #19, and at "just" 33 years old may well pass Serena Williams/Margaret Court by the time he's done. Certainly 25 is reasonable, with 2 or 3 more French titles likely, and at least a couple more hard court slams doable(if he stays healthy).
    When he lost sets 3 & 4, I thought he was toast. Great 'comeback'.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    When he lost sets 3 & 4, I thought he was toast. Great 'comeback'.
    I did too but then they showed the stat that Nadal was 208-1 when winning first two sets and the other guy was 0-4 when losing the first two sets. I don't know who the GOAT is in men's tennis but IMO, he's definitely an active player, not a retired player. As for Serena, it's amazing that she can still play at such a high level at her age when you consider how long her contemporaries (eg. Clijsters, Henin, Hingis) have been out of the game.
    Last edited by jazzcyclist; 09-09-2019 at 03:12 PM.