Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Saudi 8.37m world lead in the LJ
    8.37m and 8.31m world leading performances in the LJ at the Saudi Arabian Interclubs Championships in Ryad on Wednesday, April 16.

In a closely fought long jump showdown, Valencias's bronze medallist Mohamed Salman Al Khuwaildi prevailed over fellow countryman Hussein Taher Al-Sabee.

Al Khuwaildi had been leading the event with a 8.06m first effort, until Al Sabee landedat 8.31m on his last attempt. But Al Khuwaildi denied Al-Sabee victory with his very last leap with a jump measured at 8.37m. Ahmed Faiz Al Marzooq finished 3rd with 7.84m on a shorter run-up.

The three athletes are coached by Algerian technicians: Mahfoud Bouhouche for Al Khuwaildi and Al Marzooq and Hamdi Sahil for Al Sabee

1. Mohamed Salman AL KHUWAILDI 8.37 (w -0.26)
    2. Hussein Tahar AL-SABEE 8.31 (w +1.51)
    3. Ahmed Faiz BINMARZOUQ 7.84 (w +0.84)
    4. Ahmed Nasar AL CHOORAFA 7.70 (w -0.49)
    5. Nasser Atia JEBRAN 7.62 (w 1.04)
    6. Mubarak Jasser AL JASSER 7.38 (w +0.70)
    7. Jameel Qassem FAKHREE 7.27 (w +0.90)
    8. Majeed Saad SAEED 7.06 (w +0.68 )

An information reported in French by Hemimi Hadj Sahraoui http://coachemimi.skyrock.com/

2. Collapse Details

Good jumps and interesting wind readings. I am not sure that I have seen readings given to two decimals before. I thought maybe the readings were taken in units other than mps but there do not seem to be any natural units to have these values as conversions.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235
    Good jumps and interesting wind readings. I am not sure that I have seen readings given to two decimals before. I thought maybe the readings were taken in units other than mps but there do not seem to be any natural units to have these values as conversions.
    I think most recently-made wind gauges do have readouts to hundredths, but since there is no requirement for that accuracy, it is rounded up.

4. Collapse Details

Wind readings to 0.01 accuracy have been in existence at least as long as I can remember (i.e. 20+ years).
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

5. Collapse Details

The rules require that the wind be expressed in tenths, even though it can be measured to the hundredth.

6. Collapse Details

And of course another example of a false sense of accuracy to the extreme. I believe one study of the 100 meters said that getting something reasonably accurate would require a least 4 wind gauges. The current single gauge is probably accurate to maybe plus or minus 40%.

7. Collapse Details

Wow! Those two chaps must be eating from the same box of Wheaties as that Ukrainian discus thrower.

8. Collapse Details

Not a PB for either and Riyadh is at 600m altitude.
    Khuwailidi PB 8.48
    Sabee 8.35

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by donley2
    And of course another example of a false sense of accuracy to the extreme. I believe one study of the 100 meters said that getting something reasonably accurate would require a least 4 wind gauges. The current single gauge is probably accurate to maybe plus or minus 40%.
    You mean there is a decent chance that AP's WRs (especially the first two and the latest one) were not wind-legal (not to mention the one-time record by TM). Also, by +/- 40% do you mean +/- 0.4mps or 0 at 0mps, +/-0.8 @ 2.0mps, etc?

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235
    Quote Originally Posted by donley2
    You mean there is a decent chance that AP's WRs (especially the first two and the latest one) were not wind-legal (not to mention the one-time record by TM). Also, by +/- 40% do you mean +/- 0.4mps or 0 at 0mps, +/-0.8 @ 2.0mps, etc?
    In a word...YES! Along with most of the races involving wind gauges. The very definition of how wind is measured is so limited in its scope as to what is going on in a particular stadia that it is hardly a measure of "aid". However, as long as the equipment is properly calibrated and winds are consistently measured correctly, then the standard is what it is. It's kind of like saying that a particular stretch of road has been deemed to be safe at 55mph (~90kph for Europhiles); however, in reality, it may be safe for speeds much greater than that. As we've discussed before, wind readings can and DO vary even from lane-to-lane along the entire length of a race.