Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 56 1231151 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Time Britain Had another Great Female Sprinter
    British women have yet to enjoy the success of their male sprinting counterparts. They have enjoyed some stellar moments:

Dorothy Hyman, Olympic Silver 1960. Andrea Lynch, Euro Bronze and Commonwealth Silver, '74 Sonia Lannaman World Cup second place '77. Kathy Cook, 22.10/49.42 , Euro Silver '82 and Olympic bronze '84.

Now Jeanette Kwakye has stepped up her performance to an impressive 7.08 to win World Indoor silver. It would be nice to see Britain have a sub-11 performer. With Kwakye reducing her 60m best by 0.09 this year, that might be in the cards this year.

http://www.iaaf.org/athletes/biographie ... index.html

She ought to stand a decent chance of making the Olympic final - when was the last time that happened for a Brit?
    Take good care of yourself.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Time Britain Had another Great Female Sprinter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mennisco
    She ought to stand a decent chance of making the Olympic final - when was the last time that happened for a Brit?
    At the last Olympics. Abi Oyepitan finished equal seventh (with Muna Lee) in the 200m. She was one place away from making the 100m final (IIRC).

As for Kwakye, I reckon she'll run 11.13-ish this year. As with other short world-class sprinters, she's right up there with the best of them at 60m, but the final 40m of a 100m is when others will catch up and go past her. Still, she looks set to be Britain's No.1 this year and is developing a nice habit of running her best times at championships. She should be close to making the Olympic 100m final.

3. Collapse Details

where is Abiodun Oyepitan..........any news on here last race she was 2006 100m 11:44 If she can get back to her olympic form Britain could challenge for the 4x100m bronze

Oyepitan Abiodun 11:17
    Laura Turner 11:19
    Joice Maduaka 11:19
    Jeanette Kwakye on her way to a 10:90s to 11:0s should all form put britain in with a chance for a medal

4. Collapse Details

Apparently, she's in training again.

I do think that the British team should be the favourites for the 4x100m bronze in Beijing. I certainly think Kwakye will be running low 11.1 times this summer and we have a good brace of women who should be running between 11.2 and 11.3 in the summer. Of course, the American and Jamaican quartets will be miles ahead, I certainly think Great Britain will be in the scrap for the bronze. However, it will be tough because the Nigerians, Belgians, Russians, Bulgarians, French and Belarussians all have very good sprinters as well.

5. Collapse Details

I forgot mention of another of Kathy Cook's achievements - 2nd to Evelyn Ashford, and finishing ahead of Marlies Gohr, in the 1981 World Cup 100. I just saw that race for the first time on youbetternotlinktoittube, and amazingly, the very tall Briton got out well ahead of Ashford, who only appeared to run her down in the final 30 meters. That gives her a set of top 3 finishes at 100,200 and 400 in major competitions.
    Take good care of yourself.

6. Collapse Details

She also won a bronze medal at the 1983 World Championships at 200m, finishing behind Marita Koch and Merlene Ottey. Also an Olympic finalist at 100m and 400m (two-time Olympic finalist at 200m) and a two-time Olympic 4x100m medallist.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by nevetsllim
    Apparently, she's in training again.
    She is. Everything's fine so fingers crossed for the Summer.

8. Collapse Details
    Re: Time Britain Had another Great Female Sprinter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon
    she's right up there with the best of them at 60m, but the final 40m of a 100m is when others will catch up and go past her. Still, she looks set to be Britain's No.1 this year and is developing a nice habit of running her best times at championships. She should be close to making the Olympic 100m final.
    I think she has some real potential at 100 the last 40 shouldnt be a worry cause she is a decent 200 runner... 23.11 last year along with her 11.26 in 2007.

2006- 11.50- 11.26
    23.34- 23.11

so i think she can take another two tenth's of both her best based on her 7.08 form this year! fingers crossed!!

9. Collapse Details

If you want to know why we've not had great female sprinters I'll give you 2 reasons: work and being compared to Kathy Cook.

Most of Britain's top female sprinters have worked either full or part time. Jeannette Kwakye only went full time at Christmas. Joice Maduaka worked full time for the civil service.

We've also had some very talented juniors like Amy Spencer and Vernicha James (who finished in front of Felix and Richards at the World Juniors), who for whatever reason - economic, injury, life pressures just didn't make the transition to the senior ranks. Every single one has been compared to Kathy Cook and the pressure and expectation we put on them is ridiculous.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by AthleticsInBritain
    If you want to know why we've not had great female sprinters I'll give you 2 reasons: work and being compared to Kathy Cook.

Most of Britain's top female sprinters have worked either full or part time. Jeannette Kwakye only went full time at Christmas. Joice Maduaka worked full time for the civil service.

We've also had some very talented juniors like Amy Spencer and Vernicha James (who finished in front of Felix and Richards at the World Juniors), who for whatever reason - economic, injury, life pressures just didn't make the transition to the senior ranks. Every single one has been compared to Kathy Cook and the pressure and expectation we put on them is ridiculous.
    Joice has given up work moved to florida and is training with Brooks Johnson !!!

i messaged her the other day, she's really focused and i think we're going to see the Joics of 06 or even better this year. she ran 200m pb's indoors this winter and has only been in florida since Nov things can only get better.

you can follow her adventure here

http://joicemaduaka.blogspot.com/
    i deserve extra credit