Facts, Not Fiction

1. Collapse Details
    The Global Face of College Sports
    Today's The Chronicle of Higher Education (Jan 11, 2008) has several stories on the international focus of DI sports, including a story on UTEP's entire XC team being from Kenya.

Subscription site, but worth reading if you can get a copy.

GLOBALIZING THE ARENA http://chronicle.com/weekly/v54/i18/18a02701.htm

American universities in the NCAA's Division I gain competitive advantages with gifted young athletes from overseas.

* TRANS-ATLANTIC RUN: The University of Texas at El Paso's cross-country team has a distinctly Kenyan composition.
    http://chronicle.com/weekly/v54/i18/18a03001.htm

* CITIZEN OF THE WORLD: A field-hockey player at Harvard University who has lived in many countries believes that American players would benefit from more international exposure.

* MIXED RESULTS: Ever since the NCAA took over regulating the eligibility of foreign athletes, controversies have ensued. http://chronicle.com/weekly/v54/i18/18a03202.htm

* GOOD MATCH: The soccer coach at the University of Illinois at Chicago got Jovan Bubonja's name only by chance. But the fit between the Serbian player and the team is an excellent one.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: The Global Face of College Sports
    Quote Originally Posted by dupontred
    The University of Texas at El Paso's cross-country team has a distinctly Kenyan composition.
    I just looked at the UTEP Athletics site. First of all, they only host 4.5 men's teams in TOTAL: basketball, football, golf and track/CC.

And their CC roster is indeed 100% Kenyan!!

Aggrey Chirchir SO Kapsabet, Kenya
    Dominic Kiprono Tanui JR Kapsabet, Kenya
    Elias Koech JR Iten, Kenya
    Patrick Mutai JR Eldoret, Kenya
    Nicodemus Ng'etich SO Kapsabet, Kenya
    Japheth Ng'ojoy JR Kapsabet, Kenya
    Stephen Samoei SR Eldoret, Kenya

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by tafnut
    I just looked at the UTEP Athletics site. First of all, they only host 4.5 men's teams in TOTAL: basketball, football, golf and track/CC.
    Have you been to El Paso? They probably can't find American kids that'll move there and have to go to 3rd world countries to fill their roster.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter Brown
    Have you been to El Paso? They probably can't find American kids that'll move there and have to go to 3rd world countries to fill their roster.
    I have been to El Paso and admit that **I** wouldn't want to live there, but I can't believe there aren't 7 good Southwest USA kids that wouldn't accept a full ride to run Cross Country there. UTEP is paying a lot to get all Kenyans.

5. Collapse Details

Think maybe UTEP's XC coach has something to do with the composition of the team?

6. Collapse Details

The worst sports is tennis. All foreigners should be banned from NCAA tennis. None of them amount to anything professional-wise anyhow, and probably all of them can afford college, so ban them -- at least from receiving scholly money.

7. Collapse Details
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by tafnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter Brown
    I have been to El Paso and admit that **I** wouldn't want to live there, but I can't believe there aren't 7 good Southwest USA kids that wouldn't accept a full ride to run Cross Country there. UTEP is paying a lot to get all Kenyans.
    and none could hold a candle to the Kenyans, so why would the coach go for lesser people?

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by gh
    and none could hold a candle to the Kenyans, so why would the coach go for lesser people?
    That could be said for 95% of all programs, so why do other coaches go home-grown? There's something to be said for looking in-state first, then in your area of the nation, and then 'coaching-em-up' to be good. There's plenty of USA runners that ran very well in HS on talent, not great coaching.

9. Collapse Details

http://www.olemisssports.com/ViewArticl ... ID=1365258

Check out some of the Ole Miss tennis Rebels. Ranked 5th in the nation. They don't sound like they're from Mississippi or from the US. This is what I'm talking about.

10. Collapse Details

College coaches don't get paid to develop American-born talent. They get paid to put the best program possible on the court/track/field. If that means you have tennis players from five different countries, so what?

Do you want to continue to dumb down US kids and protect them from the big, bad, competitive world?