Facts, Not Fiction

Page 99 of 164 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109149 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Reminds me of the golf joke about the guy who started driving with a new tee designed by Hugh Mitty, and had all sorts of troubles. He blamed it on the Hugh Mitty Tee.

2. Collapse Details

You two trash-talking smartasses, I'll retort when you get hit with a hurricane (Eunice, Beulah, whatever...) .
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

3. Collapse Details

86 yesterday. Brrrrr.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Pego View Post
    You two trash-talking smartasses, I'll retort when you get hit with a hurricane (Eunice, Beulah, whatever...) .
    Been there, done that - not that big a thang. Got to have a nice sleep-over at my oldest son's house. Came home to yard clean-up duty, like many a windy/rainy weekend.

5. Collapse Details

Well, Hilton Head still recovering from Hurricane Matthew on Oct 8 - estimated time to clean-up all tree debris noted in paper last week as 2 years. My wife had said 1 year. Its still a mess in a lot of places, but our street and yard fortunately now pretty clean.

6. Collapse Details

I live on the Pacific coast pretty much on the 49th parallel, just east of Vancouver. At this point the temp goes down to about 5 degrees at night while the normal here is about 45.

This whole week the temp has been lower than in Tromso, Norway which is at about the 70th parallel, way north of Iceland and where the sun stays below the horizon for another 2 months. Truly bizarre!

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    Well, Hilton Head still recovering from Hurricane Matthew on Oct 8 - estimated time to clean-up all tree debris noted in paper last week as 2 years. My wife had said 1 year. Its still a mess in a lot of places, but our street and yard fortunately now pretty clean.
    So did you come out of the hurricane okay, besides perhaps a few downed limbs in your yard?

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    So did you come out of the hurricane okay, besides perhaps a few downed limbs in your yard?
    In the larger sense we were very, very fortunate. No house damage which did happen in the neighborhood (2 houses down actually) and no flooding. We evacuated to our place in New Hampshire, which hasn't sold yet, and driving back we were crossing our fingers hoping the new house was OK. There were trees down all over the place and the yard took a lot of cleaning up, and it cost a few $1000 to get the large trees out of there and I had to do a bunch of work, cleaning up the smaller trees and branches (and cut my leg with a handsaw requiring probably about 30 stitches) but overall, we were very, very lucky.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    In the larger sense we were very, very fortunate. No house damage which did happen in the neighborhood (2 houses down actually) and no flooding. We evacuated to our place in New Hampshire, which hasn't sold yet, and driving back we were crossing our fingers hoping the new house was OK. There were trees down all over the place and the yard took a lot of cleaning up, and it cost a few $1000 to get the large trees out of there and I had to do a bunch of work, cleaning up the smaller trees and branches (and cut my leg with a handsaw requiring probably about 30 stitches) but overall, we were very, very lucky.
    Do you still do some professional work?
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

10. Collapse Details

Do you still do some professional work?
    Yes, still editor of Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, which is not quite a full-time job, but pretty busy with it still. Worked on it this AM for 2 hours and than had 2 conference calls about it, with another one tonite (that doesn't happen every day, however).