Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 152 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bad hammy
    gm,

Take 90 minutes one day and watch An Inconvenient Truth. We are riding one cycle you really don't want any part of . . .
    I suspect gm would rather take 90 minutes of root canal.

2. Collapse Details

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery- chwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
    gm,

Take 90 minutes one day and watch An Inconvenient Truth. We are riding one cycle you really don't want any part of . . .

Whatever the status of global warming , it has nothing to do with the weather in the midwest and east coast.

http://post-journal.com/articles.asp?articleID=11106

Just ask the folks in Colorado

There are no strings on me

3. Collapse Details

We had at least three major wind and rain storms (I have lost count).
    Definitely one of the wettest winters I can remember.

Lots of basements have flooded, our beloved Stanley Park has lost many of its magnificent old trees and the roof on BC place in Vancouver was torn open. :?

Track practices have also been a challenge.
    You know it is lousy out when you can't see your kids running through the rain and they have to avoid branches flying through the air.

We don't cancel practices.

4. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by gm
    Weather cycles, Chicken Hammy, weather cycles. What goes around, comes around, even in weather. Now if you could just get those damn volcanoes to stop spewing out gas at such a high level... :twisted:
    As a hard-core enviro-friendly, it pains me to say it, but this part of the equation is indeed, IMHO, being underplayed by the Chicken Little scientists of the world. While there's no doubt that man-made actions are exacerbating things at the moment, I remain not completely convinced that ole mother earth (the Gaia Hypothesis?) can still take care of herself far more than some would have you believe. Certainly assigning blame to homo sapiens for minor perturbations in microclimate (which is all we're really talking about here) is too drastic a step to be taking at this point.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman
    gm,

Yep, sometimes the truth is a little painful.

Quote Originally Posted by gh
    . . . I remain not completely convinced that ole mother earth (the Gaia Hypothesis?) can still take care of herself far more than some would have you believe.
    Mother Earth will be just fine. The thing is, she doesn’t care whether you are here and enjoying your ride or not. Things are going to get a bit human hostile over the next couple of hundred years . . .

6. Collapse Details

[quote=bad hammy]
    Quote Originally Posted by tandfman
    Quote Originally Posted by "bad hammy":1sfd9kek
    gm,

Yep, sometimes the truth is a little painful.

Quote Originally Posted by gh
    . . . I remain not completely convinced that ole mother earth (the Gaia Hypothesis?) can still take care of herself far more than some would have you believe.
    Mother Earth will be just fine. The thing is, she doesn’t care whether you are here and enjoying your ride or not. Things are going to get a bit human hostile over the next couple of hundred years . . .[/quote:1sfd9kek]

As if we needed more reasons for hostlity .
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

7. Collapse Details

antarctica is cooling

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...caclimate.html
    http://www.nationalcenter.org/TSR11502.html

i was looking at global warming well before the mass media got onto the band wagon. before global warming was largely ignored and now everyone "knows" its a fact.

after looking at the thing, there's too many holes in the theory and data to get too smug with any theory on climate change. but i'm believing that there is an overall upward trend worldwide.

what happens with the fad mongers is that they push all the data into their theory and ignore contrary facts. i mean, how much press did the antarctica story get.?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_age
    some of the best data in the overall global temperature situation comes from ice core analysis - greenland - antarctica and other shows the long term co2, methane, dust...

i think they're really getting somewhere with the theory that the variation in atmospheric co2 is strongly correlated with the earths orbit / axis configuration...

according to this theory, earth should be entering into an ice age as we speak.
    note that some say that ice ages began 40 million years ago and are due to the continents lumping together and stopping ocean water circulation, you know warming the equator and the arctic starts freezing.....rather than a cooler equator and warmer poles...

possibly the climate of 40 million years ago might be far more desirable than todays, with far less extremes in temperature, large deserts, massive tundras that resemble the surface of mars.....

http://www.geo.umass.edu/climate/haz...ges/asgard.jpg

Variations in Earth's orbit (Milankovitch cycles)

The Milankovitch cycles are a set of cyclic variations in characteristics of the Earth's orbit around the sun. Each cycle has a different length, so at some times their effects reinforce each other and at other times they (partially) cancel each other.

It is very unlikely that the Milankovitch cycles can start or end an ice age (series of glacial periods):

* Even when their effects reinforce each other they are not strong enough.
    * The "peaks" (effects reinforce each other) and "troughs" (effects cancel each other) are much more regular and much more frequent than the observed ice ages.

In contrast, there is strong evidence that the Milankovitch cycles affect the occurrence of glacial and inter-glacial periods within an ice age. The present ice ages are the most studied and best understood, particularly the last 400,000 years, since this is the period covered by ice cores that record atmospheric composition and proxies for temperature and ice volume. Within this period, the match of glacial/interglacial frequencies to the Milanković orbital forcing periods is so close that orbital forcing is generally accepted. The combined effects of the changing distance to the Sun, the precession of the Earth's axis, and the changing tilt of the Earth's axis redistribute the sunlight received by the Earth. Of particular importance are changes in the tilt of the Earth's axis, which affect the intensity of seasons. For example, the amount of solar influx in July at 65 degrees north latitude varies by as much as 25% (from 400 W/m2 to 500 W/m2, see graph at [1]). It is widely believed that ice sheets advance when summers become too cool to melt all of the accumulated snowfall from the previous winter. Some workers believe that the strength of the orbital forcing is too small to trigger glaciations, but feedback mechanisms like CO2 may explain this mismatch.

While Milankovitch forcing predicts that cyclic changes in the Earth's orbital parameters can be expressed in the glaciation record, additional explanations are necessary to explain which cycles are observed to be most important in the timing of glacial/interglacial periods. In particular, during the last 800,000 years, the dominant period of glacial-interglacial oscillation has been 100,000 years, which corresponds to changes in Earth's eccentricity and orbital inclination. Yet this is by far the weakest of the three frequencies predicted by Milankovitch. During the period 3.0 - 0.8 million years ago, the dominant pattern of glaciation corresponded to the 41,000 year period of changes in Earth's obliquity (tilt of the axis). The reasons for dominance of one frequency versus another are poorly understood and an active area of current research, but the answer probably relates to some form of resonance in the Earth's climate system.

The present ice age began 40 million years ago with the growth of an ice sheet in Antarctica, but intensified during the Pleistocene (starting around 3 million years ago) with the spread of ice sheets in the Northern Hemisphere. Since then, the world has seen cycles of glaciation with ice sheets advancing and retreating on 40,000- and 100,000-year time scales. The last glacial period ended about ten thousand years ago.

my most tentative conclusion is that human induced global warming is countering an expected and undesirable cooling effect (see ice core data - prediction) and is therefore a desirable thing

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by mojo

Lots of basements have flooded, our beloved Stanley Park has lost many of its magnificent old trees and the roof on BC place in Vancouver was torn open. :?
    Today is pretty warm in my Greater Vancouver abode adjacent to Burns Bog but it's suppose to hit the freezing point tomorrow and windy and freezing the day after that. Meteorologists are mumbling something about snow in the forecast.

cman

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by cullman
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo

Today is pretty warm in my Greater Vancouver abode adjacent to Burns Bog but it's suppose to hit the freezing point tomorrow and windy and freezing the day after that. Meteorologists are mumbling something about snow in the forecast.

cman
    yeah we have heard the S word around here for tonight and tomorrow too.

Wind??? What's that? :roll:

Stay warm c-man.

10. Collapse Details

gm,

No, I prefer non-alarmist examinations of long-term trends. If Al F'ing Gore is so damned concerned about this stuff, he can get out of his jet, get on his hemp-constructed bicycle, and bike his butt to all those appearances. Until that happens he is just another noise in the background.

Heck, not too long ago I remember the concern was "the coming Ice Age." I bought a lot of heavy jackets based on those alarmists and now I'm peeved.

And tandfman, I would probably rather be kicked in the jimmies for 90 minutes than listen to that honk :twisted: