Facts, Not Fiction

Page 150 of 156 FirstFirst ... 50100140148149150151152 ... LastLast
Results 1,491 to 1,500 of 1554
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Oh dear....the global cooling story....debunked years ago....

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ry-came-to-be/
    Strange debunking. It takes very little effort with Google to find any number of earlier articles than the Newsweek piece, going back to at least "Colder Winters Held Dawn of New Ice Age - Scientists See Ice Age In the Future" (Washington Post, January 11, 1970). Peter Gwynne seems to have been trying to create a journalism legacy for himself.

Those of us in the energy fields (lonewolf in petroleum, me in nuclear) have spent decades studying not only our own profession, but the effects of our energy production on quality of life, mortality rates and climate. A continuing frustration is the really bad science that is cited by both sides in so may of these debates.

2. Collapse Details

People observe the same events/circumstances and reach different conclusions, ideally without denigrating the opinion of others, but are under no obligation to impose their opinion on others.
    I have no quarrel with wind, solar, hydro or nuclear..whatever fits.
    One thing I do not understand is the contempt for fossil fuels.
    Fossil fuels made possible the Industrial Revolution, continue to manufacture renewable energy equipment, will be the only practical fuel for all purpose/conditions internal combustion engines for the foreseeable future and, not insignificantly, made US energy independent.
    I rest my case.

3. Collapse Details

So, there are obviously good reasons why discussion on politics is shut down on this forum, other than on July 4th. May I suggest to the mods. that they consider whether they wish to do something similar on the topics of climate change/renewable energy. There is so much hot air showing up on this topic lately, so many obviously shallow and inaccurate comments, that are just begging to be powerfully refuted by facts. Do we want that sort of war on here, or not ?

4. Collapse Details

Before we are shut down, I have one last (maybe) contribution.

Humans with varying intellect and increasingly superior tools have been trying to reconstruct the history of Earth for only a couple hundred years. Conventional Wisdom says it is a mass of matter derived from the Big Bang an estimated 14 billion years ago that congealed into a spherical blob, with the solids forming a super continent that separated into smaller continents that are still separating and colliding.Through eons of cataclysm, continental pressure and erosion, it builds and destroys mountains and creates oceans and land mass.
    The poles migrate. Verdant lands become desert and vice versa. Snow builds glaciers and glaciers melt, resulting in cyclic ice ages.
    Islands come and go, Shorelines submerge and emerge. Coastal cities deemed worth saving will be saved. others abandoned as they have been for millennium. .
    Thousands of species have become extinct. If Earth become uninhabitable for humans, humans will become extinct.
    The mega volcano under Yellowstone will erupt, sometime between tomorrow and a million years (or more) from now, relegating Krakatoa to the minor leagues
    Man deludes himself that his infinitesimal presence has any effect on Earth's irresistible, unscheduled evolution.
    I think this is something pointless to"argue" about and should not create animosity. I am not proselytizing and both camps seem implacable. Our diverse opinions will have no effect on anything. Other than millions of people spending billions of dollars in a futile attempt to overthrow Mother Nature.
    Just my (and quite a few other's) opinion.
    Last edited by lonewolf; 09-13-2019 at 06:04 AM.

5. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by rsb3 View Post
    So, there are obviously good reasons why discussion on politics is shut down on this forum, other than on July 4th. May I suggest to the mods. that they consider whether they wish to do something similar on the topics of climate change/renewable energy. There is so much hot air showing up on this topic lately, so many obviously shallow and inaccurate comments, that are just begging to be powerfully refuted by facts. Do we want that sort of war on here, or not ?
    Thanks for joining in! I want to commend you comrad for the courage to advocate that every topic is political and we help to inform the moderators so that they can set the bounds of discussion for the benefit of English Socialsm. That is a future we all are excited about. - Winston Smith.
    Last edited by user4; 09-13-2019 at 02:50 PM.

6. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    Conventional Wisdom says it is a mass of matter derived from the Big Bang an estimated 14 billion years ago that congealed into a spherical blob, with the solids forming a super continent that separated into smaller continents that are still separating and colliding.Through eons of cataclysm, continental pressure and erosion, it builds and destroys mountains and creates oceans and land mass.
    https://archive.briankoberlein.com/2...ion/index.html

Ill just add a tiny detail, ours is a second generation star. We are the left over by products of the titan generation of supernovae that spawned the rich set of elements that our lives are made of.

7. Collapse Details

To lonewolf's comment about spending lots of money in a "futile attempt to overthrow Mother Nature", let me just repeat my earlier observations that we are all benefiting today from technology of all sorts that was absolutely unimaginable in the not-too-distant past. I hesitate to discourage scientific inquiry into the possibility of affecting climate in ways that will likely improve the lives of billions of people within the next few centuries.

8. Collapse Details

There's enough hot air in this thread from lonewolf and user4 alone to raise global temps a degree or two . . .

9. Collapse Details

Administrator
    your political cant is getting very tiresome

edited to note that was directed at user4 afer post 1495
    Last edited by gh; 09-13-2019 at 04:30 PM.

10. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Not sure I see the point of this thread anymore....as rsb3 noted it's not even a serious discussion now....
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 09-13-2019 at 04:33 PM.