Facts, Not Fiction

Page 101 of 155 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1545
  1. Collapse Details

59F at the moment, huge wind gusts on my run just now. Temp is supposed to start falling even as I'm typing this, dropping to -1F by 7am. 60 degree delta in 18 hrs.

2. Collapse Details

Weather man says we will hit -5 F tomorrow.. I liked last weeks 80s F better.

3. Collapse Details

We got into the mid 80's today and I just did something that I thought I wouldn't be doing again for at least another three months, which is turn on the air conditioner, since as of 9:45 PM, the temperature outside is 75 and the temperature in my house is still 80.

4. Collapse Details

A bit funny in Santa Barbara where I live.
    The last 5 years have been the driest 5 year period since record keeping began in 1899-1900 so the result for the two major local reservoirs contain no potable water. At one of the dams, the city trucks water to the dam keeper's home for his family's needs.
    Starting January 1st it will be illegal to water lawns in the city limits, although shrubs and trees can be irrigated for the time being.
    A local desal plant will provide 30% of the municipal needs if and when it gets finished... although it is currently 6 months behind schedule and costs have risen to about $60 million.
    Meanwhile, Oprah and the other immensely wealthy folks drill their own wells to water their estates, sucking the common aquifers down to well below any historic levels.

5. Collapse Details

Don't mean to gloat (yes I do!), but today is 75, bright sunny, low humidy, aka, perfect. Even my semi-weekly death trudge was enjoyable. We're now averaging 8 degrees above normal, up from the 5 degrees higher of November.

I just realized that my 3-mile runs (sic) have gone from 6-minute pace in my 20-30s, to 7-minute pace in my 40s, to 8-minute pace in my 50s, to my current 9-minute pace in my 60s. Time's winged chariot and all that . . .. Plus I ran 4 times a week in 20s-40s, to 3 times in 50s, and now twice a week (mostly due to knee aching). I still lift thrice weekly and bike twice-a-week, so I got that going for me.

BTW, Merry Christmas!

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I just realized that my 3-mile runs (sic) have gone from 6-minute pace in my 20-30s, to 7-minute pace in my 40s, to 8-minute pace in my 50s, to my current 9-minute pace in my 60s. Time's winged chariot and all that . . .. Plus I ran 4 times a week in 20s-40s, to 3 times in 50s, and now twice a week (mostly due to knee aching). I still lift thrice weekly and bike twice-a-week, so I got that going for me.
    That's almost exactly what's happened to my running, too, Atticus. I run so slowly, so I almost prefer to do intervals so I can delude myself into thinking I can still run fast (relatively fast), even if I can't maintain them for any length of time anymore.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    I almost prefer to do intervals so I can delude myself into thinking I can still run fast (relatively fast), even if I can't maintain them for any length of time anymore.
    Absolutely. Every now and then, I do all-out sprints for 'fun'. It's feels exactly as it did in HS/College, but I had my wife video me on her phone to see what it looked like and . . . lets just say . . . the years haven't been as kind as I felt they had been.

8. Collapse Details

I am deteriorating at about the same rate as Atticus and bambam, albeit a couple of decades behind.. or ahead... Yep, I feet better when I run faster too.... but I can't maintain it for long.. and I still don't have enough range of motion in my tin knee to pedal a bike.

9. Collapse Details

Down to 44 tomorrow night. I may have to put a blanket on my bed!

10. Collapse Details

Had to change into shorts... might rain tomorrow morning.