Facts, Not Fiction

Page 153 of 155 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154155 LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,530 of 1545
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    All the more reason to thank the millions of people finding, moving and refining carbon based fuels. But please people, dont ask this one industry to carry you for the next 200 years. Its time for the nuclear power professionals to step up and deliver.
    Yes, thank you so much for all the C02 in our atmosphere, I'm sure it is really good for our planet and ourselves. What do all those silly scientists know, anyways ? Now, let's crank up a bunch of radioactive waste to finish the job...

2. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by rsb3 View Post
    Yes, thank you so much for all the C02 in our atmosphere, I'm sure it is really good for our planet and ourselves. What do all those silly scientists know, anyways ? Now, let's crank up a bunch of radioactive waste to finish the job...
    Radioactivity is as natural as any other form of energy. Taken too quick or at a small cross section any form of energy can kill you. Of course without it there would be no life on Earth. The sun is a big fusion reactor. There are safe ways to store nuclear waste. Just don't store it in my backyard but don't put a wind farm in my backyard either.

As for CO2, it is the most precious trace gas in the atmosphere, it makes up a mere 0.04% of the atmosphere and it is essential to all life on this sacred blue sphere we call home. Treasure it.
    Last edited by user4; 09-21-2019 at 07:57 AM.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    your political cant is getting very tiresome . . . that was directed at user4
    I have been taking your advice and just avoiding this thread. It greatly depresses me that sapient human beings can be so clueless.

4. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I have been taking your advice and just avoiding this thread. It greatly depresses me that sapient human beings can be so clueless.
    I agree with that ....the cluelessness and continual nonsense is something ....

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    I agree with that ....the cluelessness and continual nonsense is something ....
    Conor, Atticus,

Do you disagree that radioactivity is a form of energy?
    Or do you disagree that the atmosphere is approx 0.04% CO2?

Or do you "feel" that these are political statements?

If you feel that they are political statements can we ask you if there are any factual statement that can not be political ?

Can factual statements change from being apolitical to political over time depending on the mood, devotion and earnestness of the listener ?

Can we further ask, are there clear policy statements that are not political ?

Who determines when factual statements become political ? Is it only the people that see politics in everything that get to decide ?
    -Winston Smith

all kidding aside, I never make political statements, but I state facts that seems to really grate people that see the world through a political lens. Dont get mad at user4, Im a harmless lovable person, just like you. If you knew me you would like me just like I like you!
    Last edited by user4; 09-21-2019 at 11:47 PM.

6. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

7. Collapse Details

Pollution control works. I lived in Glendora from 1966-1972 (7th - 12th grades), and there were days we had to do our long runs in the morning because the smog was so bad in the afternoon. Stage 2 & 3 smog alerts were regular occurrences, but are now quite rare.

There were times my brothers and I would climb Baldy (10,069') or the Nine Peaks (all above 10,000'), look across to San Jacinto (10,833'), and see it sticking above the inversion layer (maybe around 4-6,000'). Everything below the inversion layer was invisible because of the smog.

My wife and I spent last weekend at a family reunion in Glendora, and enjoyed the beautiful views. What a change from 50 years ago!

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bobguild76 View Post
    Pollution control works. I lived in Glendora from 1966-1972 (7th - 12th grades), and there were days we had to do our long runs in the morning because the smog was so bad in the afternoon. Stage 2 & 3 smog alerts were regular occurrences, but are now quite rare.

There were times my brothers and I would climb Baldy (10,069') or the Nine Peaks (all above 10,000'), look across to San Jacinto (10,833'), and see it sticking above the inversion layer (maybe around 4-6,000'). Everything below the inversion layer was invisible because of the smog.

My wife and I spent last weekend at a family reunion in Glendora, and enjoyed the beautiful views. What a change from 50 years ago!
    Great story, just think about how many rivers in the US have gone from horribly polluted in the 1970s to crystal clear and drinkable today. It is a great tribute to our national and state environmental policies.

Now if we could just stop the millionaire developers from getting all their building zone variances.

9. Collapse Details

From 1976 through 1980 I lived in San Jose, California while attending SJSU. During those years, Mt. Hamilton, a 4265 ft. mountain 13 miles away as the crow flies, wasn't visible much of the year because of smog (nor was the coastal mountain range on the other side of the valley).

From 1998 through 2011 I lived in the hills above Oakland, CA, 40 miles away as the same crow flies from Mt. Hamilton, which was always visible unless rain or fog got in the way. Twenty years of emission controls and other efforts made a huge and very visible difference.

(Note: I discovered this morning that Googlemaps has an "as the crow flies" tool, as discussed here.)
    Last edited by bad hammy; 09-24-2019 at 01:54 PM.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bad hammy View Post
    From 1976 through 1980 I lived in San Jose, California while attending SJSU. During those years, Mt. Hamilton, a 4265 ft. mountain 13 miles away as the crow flies, wasn't visible much of the year because of smog (nor was the coastal mountain range on the other side of the valley).

Quick rabbit trail ... I was at Moffett Field in 1978. Did you ever go to the Sunday morning road runs at Foothill College in Los Altos Hills? I loved them!