Facts, Not Fiction

Page 149 of 154 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,490 of 1533
  1. Collapse Details

An excellent article and the basis of my contention that global change is inevitable.. and nothing to do with oil.
    Incidentally, my younger daughter's Master Thesis in Geology/Geophysics involved tracing the meandering of the poles through magnetic orientation of thin slices of rock of various ages.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    From the Washington Post:

Headline: Dangerous new hot zones are spreading around the world

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...-change-world/

Some places are really getting mucked up by warming climate.
    When I majored in Oceanography at the Naval Academy in the '70s, it was global cooling that put the fear of God in all the prediction experts. How times change!

3. Collapse Details

I remember the TIME covers presaging the Coming Ice Age... and they were right, just off by several thousands of years.

4. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by bobguild76 View Post
    When I majored in Oceanography at the Naval Academy in the '70s, it was global cooling that put the fear of God in all the prediction experts. How times change!
    and how do we know that projection wasn't correct and that man-made activity hasn't reversed it, making the boffins right both times?

5. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Oh dear....the global cooling story....debunked years ago....

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ry-came-to-be/

6. Collapse Details

Bottom line: The Earth does go through climate changes, all by its little self, but . . . the climate scientists know this very well, and 97% of them agree that THIS particular change is entirely man-made. These are the experts (which, of course, none of us are) saying this. They come from all different political persuasions - left, right, and center. They have no dog in this fight, other than the scientific facts. The rest of us cling to our biases. I listen to the science, and I may not always like it, but I listen . . . or pay the consequences for my hubris.

7. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Bottom line: The Earth does go through climate changes, all by its little self, but . . . the climate scientists know this very well, and 97% of them agree that THIS particular change is entirely man-made.
    Sorry, I have not been convinced of "anthropomorphic global climate catastrophe" on the merits of the evidence and science. Tossing around "97% of climate scientists" agree is not science in the least. I could refute that "97%" claim but it is not worth the discussion because it is irrelevant what a certain set of scientists postulate regarding a 1 degree increase in global temperatures when it comes to taxing people into the stone age.

When a scientific claim makes sense and describes the world more accurately than the alternatives then it starts to be accepted (sometimes slowly sometimes quickly) by other scientists and then the greater public accept it. It becomes as common as E=mc2.

Not only is the 97% claim bogus, even if you could parse up scientists in order to get a category of them to agreement on an issue, that would not settle the issue in terms of the habits of the people and the policies they adopt. People, societies, nations are not hell bound to take it at face value and obey some priestly 97% cast of talkers. The policy prescriptions that are drum beaten into the public attention that are supposedly supported by "97% of climate scientists" might lead to their poverty and squalor and might make the priestly cast fantastically wealthy. Friends only free people can determine what path they are to take.

All of these issues will be worked out slowly as individuals and then each family determines what is best for themselves, and then in the aggregate they decide for humankind.

They are free to choose their path in life and make it a happy one. When they find 50 years hence that all the howling from that minuscule "97% of climate scientists" was hog wash, they can say "we told you so".

Friends we have seen dramatic swings in temperatures across the globe every 10 millennia or so. These changes can happen on time scales as short as 500 years. Swings so dramatic as to turn fertile grass lands into barren deserts and beautiful forests into frozen ice covered tundra. All of this has happened to the climate before man burnt more than handfull of gathered sticks to keep himself warm. If the climate is getting warmer, be thankful for it, it is likely the only reason you live the most luxurious life that the planet has ever given humankind. But realize, all that you have burned does not amount to a pile of sticks compared to the temperature swings and CO2 swings that Earth itself is quite used to without you.

Bottom line: from time immemorial men in power have sought to scare their subjects out of the fruit of their labors and their property. Every generation faces the same storms of hot propaganda, it never ends, they are like swirling disorienting steaming hot devouring cyclones. We need to get used to it and live with it and pursue happiness in spite of it.
    Last edited by user4; 09-12-2019 at 08:57 PM.

8. Collapse Details

Thank you, user4.. you and I must be the unenlightened 3% who have no vested interest in or did not drink the global warming kool-aid.
    Having outlived several short term apocalyptic pronouncements, I expect to survive this one.
    To each his own. Worry at Will.
    Last edited by lonewolf; 09-12-2019 at 09:00 PM.

9. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    Thank you, user4.. you and I must be the unenlightened 3% who have no vested interest in or did not drink the global warming kool-aid.
    Having outlived several short term apoplectic pronouncements, I expect to survive this one.
    To each his own. Worry at Will.
    lonewolf, if the polls are right im going to guess that the "enlightened" are closer to 75% of all literate people. The misnamed "97% of climate scientists" likely represents less than .001% of scientists.

Oh and by the way 400 parts per million is .04%. Plants are starving for CO2.

10. Collapse Details

Two questions:
    Who certifies Climate Scientists?
    How do you measure sea level to the millimeter? Every ocean I have seen won't hold still.