Facts, Not Fiction

Page 140 of 141 FirstFirst ... 4090130138139140141 LastLast
Results 1,391 to 1,400 of 1405
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    Wussies
    Ya'll did not get the requisite childhood acclimation. It is supposed to be hot in the summertime. Kids of my generation, no electricity, no AC, worked 14 hour 105 F days shirtless, no sunscreen and survived, slept outside in cool 90 F overnight temps ..
    I still prefer heat to cold...two years in Calgary satisfied my lifetime quota of cold... but I do walk in the shade every chance I get on my evening walk/jogs these days..
    I lived in Cairo, Egypt when I was young, and would play in 105+ frequently. No A/C, just fans. Very dry luckily. I remember 114+ some days.

2. Collapse Details

OTOH, I spent some time in Inuvik, NWT, bundled up in freezing (to me) temps, huddled on the front porch of McKenzie Grand Hotel (re-furbished WWII army barracks ) watching bare headed, sweater and windbreaker clad kids play baseball on a rudimentary baseball field on a vacant lot... curiously, they played the game clockwise.. never did get an explanation.

3. Collapse Details

Former Resident Geek
    2,000 years

A new report has revealed that the temperature variations that occurred during the end of the 20th century were more widespread than any climatic variations experienced during the previous 2,000 years. The report, published in the journal Nature, found that previous weather phenomena had been confined to specific areas and were not global challenges, said Nathan Steiger, one of the report’s authors. According to Steiger, “climate variability in the contemporary period is very different than what’s happened in the past 2,000 years.”

[Reuters] https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKCN1UJ2DC

4. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Meanwhile....

This is a roaring glacial melt, under the bridge to Kangerlussiauq, Greenland where it's 22C today and Danish officials say 12 billions tons of ice melted in 24 hours, yesterday.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Laurie_Ga...15875276464129

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Danish officials say 12 billions tons of ice melted in 24 hours, yesterday.
    And, as the land begins to emerge, it soaks up the solar radiation, instead of reflecting it, and there's MORE global warming.

6. Collapse Details

From the Washington Post:

>> On Monday, data from a European climate agency made official [that]. . . July was the warmest month the world has experienced since record-keeping began more than a century ago.<<

https://www.washingtonpost.com/clima...=.b97d723a99d6

7. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    highest temperature EVER for France

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-eu...TT1RW?rpc=401&
    I'd like to take a look at the sensor numbers and locations in the urban areas, there may be biases built in when comparing across the decades.

8. Collapse Details

Former Resident Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    I'd like to take a look at the sensor numbers and locations in the urban areas, there may be biases built in when comparing across the decades.
    Clearly you did not read the article.

9. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by bhall View Post
    Clearly you did not read the article.

OK, sorry, I just read it, ..hmm a 0.2 F change in a max temperature over a 15 year period may or may not mean anything at all. But if you are feeling it, it is sweltering !

10. Collapse Details

My Seattle daughter was in OKC over the weekend, complaining about the mid-90s temps. O course, she had just returned from Barrow, Ak where the locals were sweltering in low 70s temps.
    A helicopter not being available due to weather, she hired a boat to take her to Cooper Island in the Beaufort Sea 25 miles off Barrow. She was bundled up and freezing during the crossing while the boatmen were in sweatshirt or windbreaker.