Facts, Not Fiction

Page 151 of 154 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 1533
  1. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Not sure I see the point of this thread anymore....it's not even a serious discussion now....
    the answer is simple: then stay away

2. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Master403 View Post
    Strange debunking. It takes very little effort with Google to find any number of earlier articles than the Newsweek piece, going back to at least "Colder Winters Held Dawn of New Ice Age - Scientists See Ice Age In the Future" (Washington Post, January 11, 1970). Peter Gwynne seems to have been trying to create a journalism legacy for himself.

Those of us in the energy fields (lonewolf in petroleum, me in nuclear) have spent decades studying not only our own profession, but the effects of our energy production on quality of life, mortality rates and climate. A continuing frustration is the really bad science that is cited by both sides in so may of these debates.
    The bad science is really almost all on one side.

Fwiw nuclear should be part of the solution for clean energy....it has its problems but doesn't add to greenhouse gases....
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 09-13-2019 at 05:00 PM.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    the answer is simple: then stay away
    Right a discussion on one of the most important topics of the day and I'm suppose to just ignore it....not even sure what one can say....you can't even point out nonsense like someone just noted when you see it because that is too political.....

Oh I see your correction....I thought you were talking about bad hammy...I take back what I said...continue on...
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 09-13-2019 at 04:49 PM.

4. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    The bad science is really almost all on one side.
    I think we can all agree on that.

Not sure I see the point of this thread anymore....as rsb3 noted it's not even a serious discussion now....
    When one group uses a thread to propagandize everyone else and then some of us respond with "not-so-fast" I can see why the thread has lost its purpose for you.

regarding the politics, I am careful never ever to be the first to bring politics into a thread. I always simply respond to its injection by another.

One thing that I have seen this season in southern new england is a large number of crickets. Probably a sign of greater than usual rain fall this summer but maybe im imagining things.
    Last edited by user4; 09-13-2019 at 05:14 PM.

5. Collapse Details

In today's FT ...

Wyoming’s Powder River Basin wants to be known for the element one row up the periodic table.

“Carbon Valley” is a vision of the future for America’s largest coal-producing region. The basin’s officials dream of a high-tech place where thick seams of coal are turned into graphene, aircraft fuselages, wind turbine blades and the black granules in water filters.

The move is an act of desperation as much as inspiration. Wyoming thermal coal, which is burnt to generate electricity, has now followed the rest of the US industry into irreversible decline.

The basin’s annual output has dropped by more than a third in the past decade to an estimated 300m short tons in 2019, as US utilities demolish coal-fired power plants in favour of natural gas, wind and solar energy (a short ton is equivalent to 2,000lb).

6. Collapse Details

Is it too late to ask, how is "climate" political?

7. Collapse Details

In a nutshell, some politicians have made it a political issue. Let's not go there.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    People observe the same events/circumstances and reach different conclusions, ideally without denigrating the opinion of others, but are under no obligation to impose their opinion on others.
    I have no quarrel with wind, solar, hydro or nuclear..whatever fits.
    One thing I do not understand is the contempt for fossil fuels.
    Fossil fuels made possible the Industrial Revolution, continue to manufacture renewable energy equipment, will be the only practical fuel for all purpose/conditions internal combustion engines for the foreseeable future and, not insignificantly, made US energy independent.
    I rest my case.
    And the horse and Camel were once the main means of transportation. Bring back the horse? And Poop was the main form of heating. Bring back poop?

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    Is it too late to ask, how is "climate" political?
    It's not the climate that is political it's the role of humans, and where there are humans their is politics.

10. Collapse Details

In today's FT ...
    This is news? Ramaco Carbon was formed in 2011 and a successful project was described two years ago today in Bloomberg:

https://d17tjsihmynk9n.cloudfront.ne...marines-v2.pdf

Ramaco lists over twenty articles and press releases about their activities:

https://www.ramacocarbon.com/news-presentations/

Other than the gratuitous "act of desperation" description of Ramaco's activities, I'm not sure what FT's point was.