Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Dave Barry Says Newspapers Are Dead
    Administrator
    (just what a magazine guy wants to hear)

coming soon, T&FN podcasts! :-)

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f ... H06GL1.DTL

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Dave Barry Says Newspapers Are Dead
    Quote Originally Posted by gh
    coming soon, T&FN podcasts!
    The smiley is supposed to indicate you're kidding?! Bet not. The future belongs to WCSN and its ilk. You'd better plan on being part of the future or you will be history! :!:

3. Collapse Details
    Re: Dave Barry Says Newspapers Are Dead
    Quote Originally Posted by tafnut
    Quote Originally Posted by gh
    You'd better plan on being part of the future or you will be history! :!:
    They are not doing too bad a job. At present the e-results service is an excellent perk and reason to subscribe to T&FN. I do agree that having the WCSN service too would make the subscirption even more worth while.

I suppose the future will be that we pay a subscription for WCSN athletics all the time "classic" TV, as well as live coverage of all track meets. On top of that the e-results newsletter.

Then, as a freebie, the T&FN magazine will be thrown in as an advertising/archive tool. :shock:

Of course the other alternative is everything will disappear.
    Knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance

4. Collapse Details

Not for me! I love reading a newspaper- looking a tevery page, reading what catches my fancy. I have been accused of having an ink addiction. I like nothing better than sitting down with a good meal and spending an hur or os going over a few newspapers. Just can't do that with a computer screen.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Helen S
    Not for me! I love reading a newspaper- looking a tevery page, reading what catches my fancy. I have been accused of having an ink addiction.
    I think it was one of the Star Trek movies that Kirk makes a big production about putting on some reading glasses and actually reading a book, while the rest of the crew looks at this as an age-of-the-dinosaur kind of thing.

Im with you, Helen, and I am sure that many\most of here are too. But it is only a matter of time before most ink-on-paper becomes a thing of the past. Not in my lifetime too many old farts like me will pay good money for this stuff. But within a couple of generations . . .

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bad hammy
    Im with you, Helen, and I am sure that many\most of here are too. But it is only a matter of time before most ink-on-paper becomes a thing of the past. Not in my lifetime too many old farts like me will pay good money for this stuff. But within a couple of generations . . .
    I disagree. No doubt, there will be continued shrinkage in the industry, and the newpapers of the next century will look as different from today's as today's look when compared with those of 100 years ago. But I think the medium will not die so easily.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman
    Quote Originally Posted by bad hammy
    I disagree. No doubt, there will be continued shrinkage in the industry, and the newpapers of the next century will look as different from today's as today's look when compared with those of 100 years ago. But I think the medium will not die so easily.
    I'll check back with you then . . . :wink:

8. Collapse Details

Administrator
    I heard the publisher of the SF Chronicle on the radio about a month ago, on a talk show, and he basically said print newspapers are dead. He was tenuously optimistic about a viable e-based model.

9. Collapse Details

Profit margins are still very good believe it or not,in many major papers. The problem is they aren't increasing revenue,they are dumping personnel, to make their 15%. The immediate future looks like a nation of tabloids(rather than broadsheets) run by skeleton crews.
    I'd say the biz as we know it will be gone in 40 years(or less).

10. Collapse Details

I've been reading newspapers every day since about age 9.

Please don't die, newspapers.