Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Beach Soccer: An Oly Sport by '20??????
    >>He knew it BH, that was a>sarcasm aimed at me. BTW, that loss to Germany was a crying shame. The no-call>on the German handball on the goal line was one of the worst I've ever>seen.<<

Agree - I keep pinching myself to see if I'm awake when we hold our own against the world's best. The WC really is a crap shoot when you get to the second round. The US side is still on a steep learning curve, but Arena has to be one of the world's best national coaches (and rapidly becoming one of the most experienced).

Do you really think we shouldn't reach the round of 8 again? Europeans still have a hard time admitting that we country bumpkins have a chance against Euro or SoAm sides.

2. Collapse Details
    I think we were lucky to be in the group with Portugal that grossly underrated the US side and payed dearly for it and Poland that totally bombed out.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

3. Collapse Details
    Yesterday two Americans (Reyna, McBride) scored winning goals in the premiere league games. There are now quite a few American's playing in the top leagues in Europe.

If the US beats Mexico this week they will be the first team to qualify for the world cup. This will guarantee them an easy schedule. It may also put them in the top five in the FIFA international ranking.

Face it the US is giant waiting to be awakened in international soccer. How are the French going to react when we start beating them in soccer. Maybe they will accuse the US players of blood doping.

4. Collapse Details
    >While in Rome, I watched a Italian beach soccer game on TV. I don't know the
    >qualifications for an event to be on the program, but I got a feeling this is
    >gonna catch on, and it's an Oly by 2020. Maybe 2016.

Or has it already
    >been approved??????

Can you say "Italy v. Brazil" in the Gold match????
    >USA chance for a bronze here???????

Since you actually saw a Beach Soccer game, maybe you can explain how it differs from normal Soccer, other than being on a beach. So you actually think that this "sport" will be in the OG's sometime in the foreseeable future? The Apocalypse is nigh!

5. Collapse Details
    >Is it possible that given how important the "team" part of the game is that the MLS
    >guys were basically still introducing themselves to each other and had no cohesion?

Not to mention that Real Madrid is effectivelty a World all Star team that plays together all the time.
    Knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance

6. Collapse Details
    Re: The Rise of US soccer
    Here is an interesting article on the rise of US soccer. It could be entitled how the US became the king of CONCAFE. The US does have Mexico's number in many key matches.

http://www.sams-army.com/index.php?Mlis ... cle_id=219

Also try the Sam Army site.

http://www.sams-army.com

In some cities last year MLS games were out drawing NHL games and even getting better television ratings.

When the old guard of sports writers finally leave publications like the sporting news soccer will start getting even more coverage. You can't stop the most popular youth sport in America.

The MLS "all-star" teams loss to Real Madrid is just a small glitch in US soccer’s road to success.
    The national team being ranked 6th in the world more than makes up for the MLS embarrassing loss to Real Madrid.

7. Collapse Details
    Since you actually saw a
    >Beach Soccer game, maybe you can explain how it differs from normal Soccer,
    >other than being on a beach. So you actually think that this "sport" will be
    >in the OG's sometime in the foreseeable future? The Apocalypse is nigh!

There are 5 players on each team. Four, plus a golie.

This year's WC was in Brazil (16 qualifiers), with France taking it all, over Portugal. And it's a FIFA sport. Given those facts, it's definitely an Oly soon!!!!!

http://www.fifa.com/en/comp/index/0,244 ... eid=109205

8. Collapse Details
    Re: The Rise of US soccer
    The MLS
    >"all-star" teams loss to Real Madrid is just a small glitch in US soccer’s
    >road to success.

CCCP 10
    USA 4

January 1980, Madison Square Garden

Do you believe in Miracles? YES!!!!!!

9. Collapse Details
    >>errrrr, a few days ago.....Real Madrid 5 MLS All Stars 0.

Until the last 30 secs, when the MLS #4 threw 3 straight completions, and their # 34 had 4 carries for 45 yds and went over in the corner for 6 as time expired.

:-D

10. Collapse Details
    Perhaps the IAAF can negotiate with the IOC to get beach T&F included, too?
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...