Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Am I the only person here who is not a Judge Judy fan. Her "smile" is more fearsome than anyone else's snarl.

2. Collapse Details

Another article about Holzhauer:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-...=.ef6f5b4945f7

Nothing really new except updated numbers.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    Another article about Holzhauer:
    In it:

His secret? Those informational children’s books.
    “They are chock-full of infographics, pictures and all kinds of stuff to keep the reader engaged,” he told The Washington Post via email. “I couldn’t make it through a chapter of an actual Dickens novel without falling asleep.”
    Ima hafta call BS on that. His 'secret' is that
    a. He has an eidetic memory - virtually everything he reads, he remembers.
    and
    b. He devours huge amounts of information on every conceivable topic. I don't think he does this to win; I think he does it because his mind is insatiably hungry for more 'food'.

He's obviously a genetic freak, but not just as a memory whiz.

I wonder how much he makes annually as a 'professional gambler'. Would it make his Jeopardy! winnings look like chump change?
    It's also interesting that he's waited this long to be a contestant, when he could have done this years ago.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    In it:

Ima hafta call BS on that. His 'secret' is that
    a. He has an eidetic memory - virtually everything he reads, he remembers.
    and
    b. He devours huge amounts of information on every conceivable topic. I don't think he does this to win; I think he does it because his mind is insatiably hungry for more 'food'.

He's obviously a genetic freak, but not just as a memory whiz.

I wonder how much he makes annually as a 'professional gambler'. Would it make his Jeopardy! winnings look like chump change?
    It's also interesting that he's waited this long to be a contestant, when he could have done this years ago.
    I agree. I think you are stating that he hasn't undertaken and "different" form of study throughout his life or maybe even in preparation for the show. He seems to have a predetermined ability to retain information that most of the world does not have. Can Rain Man be a comparison here? I don't know the medical side to those cases at all.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    Can Rain Man be a comparison here? I don't know the medical side to those cases at all.
    No, Rain Man was an autistic savant (based on Kim Peek). He's more like Marilu Henner (of Taxi fame) who can remember every day of her life (6 on?). What she ate at each meal, what day of the week it was, what happened. They are hippocampus freaks - the brain makes such efficient connections, that's it just remains fresh in the memory forever.

6. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    I doubt he literally remembers everything he reads....

(And of course he does it to win....if he had such an insatiable thirst for knowledge he wouldn't spend his time reading children's books, which he himself says he does..I've known some brilliant people over the years and I couldn't imagine any of them reading children's books..this guy apparently doesn't even read real books.)

However there was a fellow who did....the great mathematician John Von Neumann....

https://www.nytimes.com/1992/02/10/b...well-both.html
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 04-23-2019 at 11:32 PM.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    He was a contestant about 5 years ago on a show called "The Chase" in which contestants faced off against British trivia expert Mark Labbett (aka "The Beast"). James crushed him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qvrVN9S2-U
    Last edited by wamego relays champ; 04-24-2019 at 01:39 AM.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    I doubt he literally remembers everything he reads....
    Indeed, he has to find some significance to the info, the same way most of us here can associate some random number to a track mark from history.

(And of course he does it to win....if he had such an insatiable thirst for knowledge he wouldn't spend his time reading children's books, which he himself says he does.
    I do believe he reads picture books for that, but that may represent a mere 5% of the answers he gives, judging by the categories he's answering. He already admitted he gets bored reading novels - so do I - on the other hand, I (and perhaps he has) have read the World Almanac cover-to-cover and get lost in Wikipedia frequently.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by wamego relays champ View Post
    He was a contestant about 5 years ago on a show called "The Chase" in which contestants faced off against British trivia expert Mark Labett (aka "The Beast"). James crushed him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qvrVN9S2-U
    I just watched that which was pretty neat. Then I looked up The Beast = Mark Labbett. He got his start on quiz shows with the Olympics as his expert category. Can I get on the show and take him on about the Olympics? I'm betting on me.

10. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    I just watched that which was pretty neat. Then I looked up The Beast = Mark Labbett. He got his start on quiz shows with the Olympics as his expert category. Can I get on the show and take him on about the Olympics? I'm betting on me.
    Here's one from Question of Sport from years ago....who was the 3rd British runner, other than Budd and Sly in the 1984 Olympics 3000...