1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    First time such a low final bet....
    Holzhauer explains his bet:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/ja...cid=spartanntp

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    Holzhauer explains his bet
    It was obvious that was his only play. She had to get it wrong, but she also had to cover his prospective all-in bet. He had to cover what she had left if she was wrong.
    Last edited by Atticus; 06-04-2019 at 07:19 PM.

3. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Ancient history now...

4. Collapse Details

The key to his loss was that she found and exploited the Daily Doubles.

My guess is that his average of $77,000+, higher than the old single game record, will prompt players to use his double-down on Daily Doubles strategy a lot more often.

On another sadder note, with Alex fighting a (almost assuredly) losing battle with cancer, this run by James could be the last big Jeopardy thing. Of course they'll run out a Tournament of Champions with James, Ken Jennings and the rest, but this could be the high-note swan-song for Alex.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bad hammy View Post
    The key to his loss was that she found and exploited the Daily Doubles.

My guess is that his average of $77,000+, higher than the old single game record, will prompt players to use his double-down on Daily Doubles strategy a lot more often.

On another sadder note, with Alex fighting a (almost assuredly) losing battle with cancer, this run by James could be the last big Jeopardy thing. Of course they'll run out a Tournament of Champions with James, Ken Jennings and the rest, but this could be the high-note swan-song for Alex.
    Maybe not so fast. See the other thread on his illness. (He seems to be making progress, medically.)

6. Collapse Details

OK, I lied; I watched again tonight. Emma is good, but not BR/KJ/JH good. She did employ the JH approach and when she bet it all on a DD, Trebec said, 'oh, I see you've learned from James.' and her face fell into an offended look (I'm playing MY way, thank you very much).
    She won, but I don't think she's a threat to go very long (20s/$1M). She, like JH, very much had her game-face on the whole time and played fast.

7. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    That sounds exciting...robots playing now.....

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    That sounds exciting...robots playing now.....
    I actually enjoyed tonights show.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    OK, I lied; I watched again tonight. Emma is good, but not BR/KJ/JH good. . . She won, but I don't think she's a threat to go very long (20s/$1M).
    I agree. She is good and she played well. But she missed a Final Jeopardy that I got right. She had clinched by then, so it didn't matter, but it could have mattered and at some point it probably will.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    , Trebec said, 'oh, I see you've learned from James.' and her face fell into an offended look (I'm playing MY way, thank you very much). .
    I noticed that too and thought it was a rather tactless thing for Alex to say. Obviously a smart lady same strategy but I suspect she does not have the breadth of knowledge as does JH