Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 189
  1. Collapse Details
    Ken Again (US/Non-Track)
    #1
    I understand that the first show of the new season of Jeopardy! airs tonight.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    Re: Ken Again (US/Non-Track)
    #2
    I'm sure that I'm not the only one who, during the summer hiatus, spent a few spare minutes wondering how his streak will end.

    I'm thinking that he'll retire rather than lose. Since he toyed with the single day record (by tying it at 52,000 2 or 3 times) until finally destroying it with a $75,000 day, I think he's just gonna get bored and give up the title.

    It's not just the knowledge--apparently his buzzer timing is impeccable.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    Re: Ken Again (US/Non-Track)
    #3
    >It's not just the knowledge--apparently his buzzer timing is impeccable.<

    I think that he tends to buzz in almost every time he knows the general subject matter, and then he takes a second and retrieves the answer quickly out of that amazing memory of his. Occasionally, he's buzzed in and not been able to come up with the answer. My guess is that this will someday be his undoing. But probably not tonight.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #4
    Fifteen years after Ken Jennings rewrote the Jeopardy! game show record books, now comes James Holzhauer, whose aggressive play has increased the single-game record four times. That record is now 70% higher than the #2 performer all-time. In his win on Wednesday’s episode he was perfect (41 for 41).

    https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/18/entertainment/james-holzhauer-jeopardy-record/index.html

    For details on his strategy and buzzer technique:
    https://www.theringer.com/tv/2019/4/...k-ken-jennings
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    11,425
    I have been watching this unfold for the last 10 shows. He is breaking every record on the way towards Jeopardy! history. Watching him methodically bulldoze the board with one expression (mostly) is mind-blowing. I'm pretty good at this, but there are 'answers' that he provides the question to that I've never even heard of, much less could come up with in less than a second. He must be a savant with a 1 in a billion recall capacity. There might be 7 others like him on the planet. You'd not only have to have an eidetic memory, but you'd have to have exposed yourself to a mind-blowing amount of material, esp. in the popular culture domain. It's one thing to know everything in the dictionary, encyclopedia, almanac and world atlas; it's another to know characters from a wide range of TV shows, movies and books! He must spend enormous amounts of time pursuing every conceivable area of knowledge.
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Posts
    10,927
    Apparently he reads children's books on topics he isn't familiar with....which makes sense...

    There's a great movie with Ronald Colman as a game show genius from 1950 Champagne for Caesar....

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc15...&persist_app=1
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 04-19-2019 at 04:27 PM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I have been watching this unfold for the last 10 shows. He is breaking every record on the way towards Jeopardy! history. Watching him methodically bulldoze the board with one expression (mostly) is mind-blowing. I'm pretty good at this, but there are 'answers' that he provides the question to that I've never even heard of, much less could come up with in less than a second. He must be a savant with a 1 in a billion recall capacity. There might be 7 others like him on the planet. You'd not only have to have an eidetic memory, but you'd have to have exposed yourself to a mind-blowing amount of material, esp. in the popular culture domain. It's one thing to know everything in the dictionary, encyclopedia, almanac and world atlas; it's another to know characters from a wide range of TV shows, movies and books! He must spend enormous amounts of time pursuing every conceivable area of knowledge.
    In addition to all that, he describes himself as a professional gambler (he lives in Las Vegas). He obviously has thought a lot about how much to bet on what and when.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    11,425
    Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    In addition to all that, he describes himself as a professional gambler (he lives in Las Vegas). He obviously has thought a lot about how much to bet on what and when.
    He also mentioned that he is sure to be persona non grata back in Vegas with the bookies when he returns.
    Obviously they're gonna have to rub him out 'cuz he knows too much'!
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #9
    Is he causing budget strain at Jeopardy?

    https://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...e-show/587668/
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    11,425
    Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    Is he causing budget strain at Jeopardy?
    https://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...e-show/587668/
    Doubt it. Their ratings are through the roof while he's winning, which, though I'm sure the ad rates were set a year ago, will allow them to jack them up for next season.

    The real travesty is that Alex Trebek 'only' gets $10,000,000 a year, while Judge Judy gets $147,000,000 (!!!!).
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •