Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    USATF Youth Drama - Youth Exec Committee Suspended
    Administrator
    Let me try and briefly summarize a complex issue...

The USATF Youth contract with Coach O for meet registration came to an end.

A power struggle began last fall between the National Office and the Youth Committee over who should be allowed to choose the vendor.

National Office announces it will be athletic.net, Youth Committee refuses to fall in line as that wasn't who they wanted. National Office files a grievance against Lionel Leach to resolve the issue.

May 17, Lionel Leach posts this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrB_...&feature=share

May 25, USATF Board of Directors meets via phone and votes to suspend the entire USATF Youth Executive Committee. They are suspended from the entire organization, several of them are also Association Presidents, Meet Directors, Officials, etc...

The suspended members have filed a complaint with the USOC claiming that USATF is violating the Amateur Sports Act and, among other things, requesting the USOC suspend USATF as the NGB of our sport http://trackandfieldnews.com/index.p...rticle&id=2953

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by polevaultpower View Post
    May 25, USATF Board of Directors meets via phone and votes to suspend the entire USATF Youth Executive Committee. They are suspended from the entire organization, several of them are also Association Presidents, Meet Directors, Officials, etc...
    Can we say, 'Power Play', boys and girls?

3. Collapse Details

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery- chwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
    Waiting for the Alan Abrahamson hit piece on Greifinger, Leach, et al...
    There are no strings on me

4. Collapse Details

Administrator
    I asked him a few days ago if he had an opinion on all of this and he said no, but I bet one is coming now!

5. Collapse Details

6. Collapse Details

Spent some time thinking about this and the events of the last 7+ years. Basically, USATF doesn't giving flying fark about anyone outside the Boardroom or not on the Staff. They have implicit and explicit approval to do whatever the fark they want from the USOC. This latest complaint will get tossed and business will continue as usual. These are like-minded oligarchs who think everyone outside their pathetic little circle of jerks is unworthy of an intelligent thought or a modicum of professional courtesy. The remainder of my thoughts & the actions I would personally take should I be confronted with any of these minions of disaster are better spoken privately than posted in a public forum.

7. Collapse Details

USA Today's article on Max (linked on front page) labels him a 'marketing genius', which, it turns out, is just the opinion of Alyson Felix (for reasons not given), but excerpts provide some evidence of 'accomplishments'.

[my numbers]

1. signed a long-term deal he signed with Nike (reportedly worth $500 million through 2040).

2. manning the helm of a famously fractious organization with 130,000 members, far-flung constituencies and a longstanding reputation, as Siegel himself admits, as “the most dysfunctional federation in the Olympic family.”

3. Siegel’s first priority upon taking over was to bolster USATF’s finances, bringing in a dozen new sponsors and raising assets from $8 million to $42 million and taking the sport’s low-profile in the U.S. head on.

4. One of the biggest shifts Siegel has implemented is an expanded revenue-sharing plan that funnels more money to elite athletes, addressing the longstanding concern that even top competitors struggle to make a living in a cash-strapped sport. Under the plan, an additional $1.8 million is being earmarked annually for top athletes for the next five years. So-called Tier 1 athletes who make a world or Olympic team receive a $10,000 bonus, plus $4,500 more for medical needs and competing internationally. An athlete who wins a national title and competes for Team USA will receive about $45,000 annually, and an athlete who captures a national title and a world or Olympic gold medal will take in $95,000, not including personal endorsement incentives and other prize monies.
    The current debacle with the Younth Committee is not helping his cause.

8. Collapse Details

Renee Washington admits that suspension was done w/o proper due process hearing taking place.

"Karen asked Renee to comment on the talk going around about suspending members without due process. The actions taken by the Youth Executive Committee were causing us harm that we could not let continue. We are looking at about 10 million dollars of liability, so immediate action was required."

http://www.usatf.org/usatf/files/c1/...176ae795c1.pdf

9. Collapse Details

Administrator
    And now USATF has filed a lawsuit against the members they suspended...

10. Collapse Details

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery- chwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
    USATF going strictly by the corporate book. Use their deep(er) pockets to beat the small guy(s) into submission. Fortunately the other side has Greifinger
    There are no strings on me