Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    The voters in both the AP Poll and the Coaches' Poll disagreed with you on BYU. Out of curiosity, who would you have ranked #1 in 1984?

You seem to have overlooked a few other occasions when the pollsters disagreed with you, such as the period from 2008 through 2011 when Utah, TCU and Boise State regularly appeared in the top four (in 2010 all three were in the top five at the same time), not to mention 1990, when Georgia Tech won the UPI National Championship (Coaches' Poll).
    Great points. Yes, those were outstanding teams and all of them had schedules roughly on par with that of BYU's in 1984. Notice that the Utes of 2009 were undefeated, beat Alabama in the Sugar Bowl and only ended up ranked #6.

I went back and looked at that 1984 year. It seems there were a number of great teams with 10-2 records. I think there were at least 4 of them that could have beaten BYU. OKlahoma, BC, Oklahoma State, Nebraska, Florida. I guess that year can be considered a perfect storm for the WAC.

Though a big BYU fan myself I suspect I underestimated them just a bit.

My comparison of BYU that year with Marshall is weak in that BYUs WAC schedule that year was quite a bit more difficult than Marshall's C-USA schedule.
    Last edited by user4; 10-28-2014 at 04:29 PM.

2. Collapse Details

If possible, I agree w everyone: I want to give a likely-to-be 12-0 Marshall its due -- that is an accomplishment that deserves some sort of recognition, e.g., invitation to a major bowl, w a major conference opponent. On the other hand, I think what we have in NCAA college football is (at least) 5 more or less clearly identifiable levels: (1) D1 'power 5' conferences (+ an independent or maybe 2); (2) D1 'other 5' (+ other independents left over); (3) D1/FCS; (4) D2; (5) D3.

In any given season or on one Saturday or another, a team in a lower 'division' (as listed here) may beat a team that is a level above, or occasionally a weaker team -- or a team on a really off day -- that may be 2 levels above. So, sometimes the better/best teams in 'D1 other 5' may beat someone from 'D1 power 5.' And every once in a while, a really good D1/FCS team may beat a weaker/off team from anywhere in the upper-echelon D1 world. But there are also powerhouses at D3, e.g., Mount Union, who have often gone undefeated in dominating ways and we know they shouldn't play above their level for championships regardless of whether they beat everyone 50-0 or not. Marshall's case isn't that extreme a disparity, of course, but even at 12-0, are they in the top 4? I can't see that, & I would suggest -- for Marshall's sake -- that it not get tested against one of the top 4 in the nation. Better to not be chosen and express indignation, rather than to get hammered into the turf.

On the third hand, if we went with lonewolf's (a person whose judgment I trust!) tournament format, Marshall would have its chance!

I have no personal affiliation or stake in any of this; am just a casual observer. All of my alma maters and institutions of affiliation have lousy football programs, to the point where they ought to consider retiring their programs altogether. For where I am now, all other things being more or less equal, I do tend to hope very mildly that Ohio State wins as much as possible -- not because I am a fan, but because I live around countless OSU fans and when they are less grumpy, my community is a little bit easier to live in. Kind of a football equivalent of paying polite respect to the local gods, regardless of what I "believe" deep down.

(smiley emoticons for all concerned.)
    Last edited by Master Po; 10-28-2014 at 04:55 PM.

3. Collapse Details

Actually, Utah finished #2 that year, their BCS ranking before the bowls was #6.

You are right about BYU benefitting from all the teams from the bigger conferences finishing with at least two losses. Had one of those teams finshed with just one loss, BYU would have been SOL. However, that's not the case with Boise State and TCU in 2009 and TCU in 2010, when the only teams to finish the regular season ahead of them were undefeated teams from the AQ conferences. As a matter of fact, at one time late in 2010, Boise State was ranked ahead of an undefeated Auburn team, and then they looked unimpressive against Louisiana Tech, and the pollsters put Auburn ahead of them the following week.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ar/2010/week/9

Also keep in mind that Boise State beat the PAC-10 champion in 2009, the ACC champion in 2010 and the SEC East champion in 2011. BYU had nothing on its resume as impressive in 1984.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
    ...On the third hand, if we went with lonewolf's (a person whose judgment I trust!) tournament format, Marshall would have its chance! ..
    kind of like Jerry Clower's friend/neighbor John always gave the racoon a fighting chance!.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    Actually, Utah finished #2 that year, their BCS ranking before the bowls was #6.

You are right about BYU benefitting from all the teams from the bigger conferences finishing with at least two losses. Had one of those teams finshed with just one loss, BYU would have been SOL. However, that's not the case with Boise State and TCU in 2009 and TCU in 2010, when the only teams to finish the regular season ahead of them were undefeated teams from the AQ conferences. As a matter of fact, at one time late in 2010, Boise State was ranked ahead of an undefeated Auburn team, and then they looked unimpressive against Louisiana Tech, and the pollsters put Auburn ahead of them the following week.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ar/2010/week/9

Also keep in mind that Boise State beat the PAC-10 champion in 2009, the ACC champion in 2010 and the SEC East champion in 2011. BYU had nothing on its resume as impressive in 1984.
    Indeed, and giving the WAC champs the lowly Holiday Bowl bid rather than a game with one of the better Big10/Big8/SEC/ACC/Pac12 teams led to BYU playing the 6-6 Univ. of Michigan that year. The all mighty big conference bowl hogs had it backfire on them. It blew up in their face.

How can anyone justify giving the winner of that game the title of number 1 ? It was a perfect storm in many ways for BYU.

I dont know why the AP and coaches did not rank a 10-2 team as #1 over BYI. I think they should have. I think you are saying that the Utes had better case for #1 than the BYU cougars of 1984 since the Utes at least could claim a major bowl victory against an SEC powerhouse. That sounds right.

Best game of that season was the BC-Miami game pitting BCs smallish and unconventionally athletic Doug Flutie (Heisman Trophy winner that year) against the great Vinnie Testaverde (Hesiman Trophy 1986) of Miami.
    Last edited by user4; 10-29-2014 at 12:47 AM.

6. Collapse Details

Well playoff committee has released their initial rankings.
    http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings
    Not much respect for Notre Dame at 10. I would think the final four would come from the teams already in the top 15 or so at this point. Lots of football still to be played obviously and the number of single loss teams will reduce substantially and the picture will likely sort itself out as the weeks go by.

7. Collapse Details

Since my OSU Cowboys have been exposed a imposters, it kinda dampened my interest in the rankings.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by donley2 View Post
    Well playoff committee has released their initial rankings.
    http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings
    Not much respect for Notre Dame at 10. I would think the final four would come from the teams already in the top 15 or so at this point. Lots of football still to be played obviously and the number of single loss teams will reduce substantially and the picture will likely sort itself out as the weeks go by.
    I don't think it's a lack of respect. There are, after all, 17 teams with 1 loss in the initial raking list. They can't all be ranked 3rd. But if Notre Dame win their remaining 5 games they should be a good chance for a top 4 place.

9. Collapse Details

I don't know how many of you had the desire to watch the FSU game last night, but several things were clear.

1. FSU is the most talented team in the NCAA. They can be over-confident, lazy, arrogant and immature, but they can easily win it all if they focus.

2. Jameis Winston is the most talented player in the NCAA. Even with THREE interceptions (foolish ones at that), he put the team on his back and willed them to coming back from 21 down.

3. The freshman running back, Cook, will win be the next Nole Heisman winner. Louisville has one of the best Ds in the land, and he made them look silly.

4. And yes, they (FSU) are all morons.