Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JRM View Post
    But your conclusion goes against a large number of the eyewitness testimonies in the article.
    Also, I don't think the flag is blowing perpendicular to the track. It's the angle of the photo.
    Ha! What you just said was - ignore the evidence and go by hearsay. The angle of the photo notwithstanding, I see it perpendicular.

Quote Originally Posted by CookyMonzta View Post
    If there were indeed a crosswind, there would be visible signs of the runners fighting against that crosswind. I didn't see anything of the sort, even at the start. Then there's the story . . .
    Huh? I'm not sure I've EVER seen lateral motion of elite sprinters to indicate a crosswind. A story . . . really? . . .

Quote Originally Posted by G.Ahearn View Post
    Ignore the flag, it's too inconclusive. Check the video, seconds 3-8. You can see the wind flapping the orange uniform of the gal next to Flo-Jo. This is a no-brainer.
    The uniform is constrained by more other variables than is a flag. I'll stick to the flag.

2. Collapse Details

I have to say I also don't see the flag as perpendicular to the field, but I don't think the quality of image is good enough that any of us can offer anything more than speculations regarding the actual angle of the flag.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Ha! What you just said was - ignore the evidence and go by hearsay. The angle of the photo notwithstanding, I see it perpendicular.
    The real evidence is the wind speeds in the concurrent jump events (parallel to the straight), most of which were well in excess of 2m/s the entire day. What the wind is doing behind the start line is really inconsequential. Or are you trying to tell me you honestly believe, after all these years, that FJ ran 10.49 basic in a quarter final?

4. Collapse Details

Administrator
    I was sitting about a dozen rows up, about 10 meters from the starting line. The was howling up the straightaway. Next question?

(remembering, by the way, that the first rule of guesstimating wind speeds is that if you can feel the wind, it's illegal; 2.0 is a whisper)

5. Collapse Details

Atticus, check her hair blowing to her left as she walking almost perpendicular to the straightaway after the race.
    Last edited by G.Ahearn; 08-28-2014 at 09:35 PM.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    The was howling up the straightaway. Next question?

(remembering, by the way, that the first rule of guesstimating wind speeds is that if you can feel the wind, it's illegal; 2.0 is a whisper)
    Yep. When you lived it, it ain't hearsay.

7. Collapse Details

Old men telling stories about what they felt for the exact 10 seconds that the race was run... tell me about that fish you caught that time.

Unless someone has a picture of a flag along the straightway blowing in the direction the race was run then the rest is all noise. Wind gauge read 0.0. Was it broken... maybe. Was there a 10-second gap between gusts... maybe. We will never know.

8. Collapse Details

Administrator
    how many times do I have to tell this story? A year or so after the race a friend of mine spoke to a SwissTiming guy who was on the crew in Indy (and they talked in German, so no translation error), and the ST guy admitted off the record that this system—which was a brand-new model—apparently didn't work until the gauge had been run for a few minutes.

Note that the first two races of the day were 0.0 (which big readings parallel to them) and then they reverted to wind-aided.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    how many times do I have to tell this story?
    Several times apparently.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by booond View Post
    Old men telling stories about what they felt for the exact 10 seconds that the race was run... .
    Well, all old men are not completely senile and some ten seconds are memorable.. especially when you are leaning against the wind ten feet from the track and hear a WR announced with legal wind and everyone around you is saying NO WAY, BS, WTF....???
    I do not have any bias toward FloJo. She was a beautiful, talented athlete in 1988 and ran some remarkable races aside from this albatross on her legacy.
    I don't know if the wind gauge malfunctioned or if there was human error or how flags behind the start line in the lea of the stands fluttered or how the wind swirled.... but that race was not run in 0.0 wind...