Thread: WR or OG Gold?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

I'm a traveller of both time and space to be where I have been.
    I do agree that the OG is the top prize. However, the two become a toss up for me depending on the event. For instance, Beamon's long jump WR is definitely an event that I could have gone either way. Would love to have my name associated with that WR. Powell beat me to it, of course. At the same time, it sure would have been nice to beat Lewis for the OG since he's one of the most prolific competitors of all time with tons of Olympic hardware. Very close decision for me.
    If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    He may be the first athlete—at least big-name athlete who had the right to discuss both options—I've ever heard say that. And given the eloquence with which he explains himself, I don't doubt the sincerity of his words for a minute.

Also note that he said World Records, plural, not singular. So it would seem that he has derived great pleasure from his indoor Hept WRs as well.
    When he's paying the mortgage though, he's not paying it with money he got from his world records.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JumboElliott View Post
    When he's paying the mortgage though, he's not paying it with money he got from his world records.
    Uh . . . yes, he is. There are not only WR bonuses, but shoe contract bumps (or at least, that's what's been written in the pages of T&FN).

4. Collapse Details

I'd be willing to bet that the bonus for being an Olympic gold medalist is bigger.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JumboElliott View Post
    I'd be willing to bet that the bonus for being an Olympic gold medalist is bigger.
    Perhaps, but the WR bonus is more than enough to help pay the mortgage. And, as Bubka taught us, you can get the WR bonus a lot more frequently than an Oly Gold. His pension plan is bursting with WR bonuses.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by eldanielfire View Post
    Nah. Not world record holder would prefer their WR over an Olympic Gold.
    Lavillenie said his WR was way more important to him than the World Championship gold he failed to obtain, and I believe him. But it wasn't just any world record.

That being said, after winning his third European title and being moved to tears on the podium, he also said that no gold medal was inconsequential. Plus, he'll have a few more chances to try and obtain the World gold!

7. Collapse Details

Ask him in 20 years when someone else holds the WR and he still has his medals.

8. Collapse Details

Well, I think it'd be best to ask Bubka, who now doesn't have his WR anymore, and has no Olympic medal to speak of.

But he still has a statue in Donetsk! (if it's not detroyed)

9. Collapse Details

I dont have the exact quote to hand, but Steve Ovett reported a big letdown after he got his OG gold (admittedly in the "wrong" event); to the effect of "that's it?" But then he wasn't all that set on chasing WRs either, until forced into the strange parallel competition with Coe. At his best, he was in the moment of each race, which is why I liked him. Maybe medals and records both ought to be secondary.

10. Collapse Details

He won gold in '88.