Thread: WR or OG Gold?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    WR or OG Gold?
    Interesting blog by Ashton Eaton linked on home-page here.

Excerpt:

Over time I've discovered Iím most attracted to the pursuit of a result rather than the result itself. . . . The gold medal was like a carrot on a stick and I found that once I got the carrot it meant less to me than what I had to do to obtain it. . . . The contributions to the progress of track and field that have given me the most satisfaction are my world records.

2. Collapse Details

I bet he'd be singing a completely different tune if he set his world record at Gotzis then got silver at London.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JumboElliott View Post
    I bet he'd be singing a completely different tune if he set his world record at Gotzis then got silver at London.
    Agree wholeheartedly. I bet Ron Clarke, Jim Ryun and Henry Rono, would have given up a WR or two for a single Olympic Gold.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JumboElliott View Post

Nah. Not world record holder would prefer their WR over an Olympic Gold.

5. Collapse Details

Administrator
    He may be the first athlete—at least big-name athlete who had the right to discuss both options—I've ever heard say that. And given the eloquence with which he explains himself, I don't doubt the sincerity of his words for a minute.

Also note that he said World Records, plural, not singular. So it would seem that he has derived great pleasure from his indoor Hept WRs as well.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by eldanielfire View Post
    Nah. Not world record holder would prefer their WR over an Olympic Gold.
    Oh, so Eaton is either a liar, or deluded . . . I see . . .

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    He may be the first athlete—at least big-name athlete who had the right to discuss both options—I've ever heard say that. And given the eloquence with which he explains himself, I don't doubt the sincerity of his words for a minute.
    I agree with everything you're saying here, but I wonder how he'll feel in 30 years when a few people have beaten his world records, but his Olympic golds are still very shiny.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tgs3 View Post
    I agree with everything you're saying here, but I wonder how he'll feel in 30 years when a few people have beaten his world records, but his Olympic golds are still very shiny.
    I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but a World Record is performance that no one ever did before you. For one shining moment, you were the best that has ever been. There have been plenty of Gold Medalists. I'm sure the Gold Medal is awesome, but to be the best that has ever been . . .

9. Collapse Details

Vindication!

10. Collapse Details

Most (All?) women running anything below 3k steeple probably don't think WR.
    + Adams and Perkovic

Gold is forever, WR's (especially in certain events like the Dec, and formally the 100m) are not