Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

So we should look nostalgically at an era of lawless epidemic drug cheating and punish the clean honorable Ms. Adams for not reaching those tainted distances?

Weird.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by beebee View Post
    So we should look nostalgically at an era of lawless epidemic drug cheating and punish the clean honorable Ms. Adams for not reaching those tainted distances?

Weird.
    Better to hide our heads in the sand and pretend like state-sponsored drug use didn't happen.

Training methods improve with time, people get larger, and more women participate but no one can throw as far as all those Eastern European women from the 70's and 80's when drug use was rampant and methods of catching the drug cheats weren't as good. Hello, McFly!

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CookyMonzta View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, Valerie has thrown 70 feet (21.34m) at least once, yes? How many 70-foot throws have we had since 2000?
    Indeed, the last woman to throw 70 feet before Adams was Laura Peleshenko in 2000. (She was coming back from a 4-years drug ban.)

Also, I have to agree with the previous posters: it's a sad sad time when people are getting nostalgic of drug-induced performances and belittling ("weak girls") clean ones in comparison.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tamabi View Post
    Indeed, the last woman to throw 70 feet before Adams was Laura Peleshenko in 2000. (She was coming back from a 4-years drug ban.)

Also, I have to agree with the previous posters: it's a sad sad time when people are getting nostalgic of drug-induced performances and belittling ("weak girls") clean ones in comparison.
    Ostapchuk (there's a pattern at work here even a blind mouse could discern) threw 71-2 indoors in 2010.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriella2 View Post
    The problem with the women's top putters is that most aren't the best physical type for the role. The Chinese are generally all too short (and dare I say, round) and most of the top Europeans aren't tall enough. Adams is at a massive physical advantage to most of the women; she's 6'4" and 264lbs (120kg). Look at someone like Kumberness who was 6'1 and 196lbs (90kg) or WR holder Lisovskaya, 6'2" and 231lbs (105kg). Of course there have been numerous women that were good and not as tall, but it just seems that the majority of shot putters nowadays are simply 'big' and are not powerful and athletic enough. It isn't just about drugs, it's about working hard in the weights room and the right physical types taking up the event.
    Good point. I wonder if getting big is what scares tall women away. In this age where appearances matter so much being both tall and very muscular as woman is not an enviable place to be. Tall and slim would be more socially acceptable.

6. Collapse Details

What a ridiculous thread.

The women's Shot is the most high profile it'sbeen in years. Possibly ever. That's all don to Queen Val of course and whilst she may not have any competition I'm certain that she's bringing more young girls into the sport that any number of 22m throwers ever would,

The idea that Helena Fibingerova should be brought in the PR the event is laughable.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Flumpy View Post
    What a ridiculous thread.

The idea that Helena Fibingerova should be brought in the PR the event is laughable.
    Please specify your opinion. Thank you in advance

8. Collapse Details

Where's Tamara Press when you need her ??
    i deserve extra credit

9. Collapse Details

10. Collapse Details

Why does women's shot put of 80' s & 90's have such a reputation? Is it due to the dominance of athletes from Eastern Europe?