Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Women´s shot put will die
    Due to the disappearance of the message board concerning the European Championship in Zurich I republish my opinion

Women´s shot put event shows the poorest performances of the European Championships!
    Compared to the well-trained powerhouses of the 80´s like Fibingerova, SLupianek or Lisovskaya or Astrid Kumbernuss (during 90´s) the current female shot putters look weak (fragile) and not trained well.
    Women´s shot put will die. But how can the event be revitalized? Nowadays the contests are not enthralling. The predicticted woman will win. Compared to the 80´s, every international competition was a thrilling one. Remember the World Championships in Helsinki in 1983 as best example, Slupianek, Knorscheidt, inimitable Fibingerova and some others.
    I think, the event needs an ambassador, like Fibingerova. She is very enthusiastic and a very good marketer. It is much more fun to see athletic and powerful women than the weak girls of today.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by powercarlos View Post
    Due to the disappearance of the message board concerning the European Championship in Zurich I republish my opinion

Women´s shot put event shows the poorest performances of the European Championships!
    Compared to the well-trained powerhouses of the 80´s like Fibingerova, SLupianek or Lisovskaya or Astrid Kumbernuss (during 90´s) the current female shot putters look weak (fragile) and not trained well.
    Women´s shot put will die. But how can the event be revitalized? Nowadays the contests are not enthralling. The predicticted woman will win. Compared to the 80´s, every international competition was a thrilling one. Remember the World Championships in Helsinki in 1983 as best example, Slupianek, Knorscheidt, inimitable Fibingerova and some others.
    I think, the event needs an ambassador, like Fibingerova. She is very enthusiastic and a very good marketer. It is much more fun to see athletic and powerful women than the weak girls of today.
    Not a problem - just get rid of WADA and then you can rejoice in the re-vitalized and well "trained" powerhouses that will undoubtedly come rolling out of the forests and laboratories of Belarus and the like.

3. Collapse Details

If we are honest, there is more spectator interest in Valerie Adams then the whole of men's Shot Putt who are equally not throwing as far as their predecessors many years ago.

4. Collapse Details

powercarlos, don't you see the elephant in the room ?!

5. Collapse Details

We all know why the 80s and 90s had better SPing. We are now where we should be. wSP is not dying any more than other 'fringe' events like TJ, HT or Steeple; it is just what it is.

6. Collapse Details

T&F News proposed a new WR for 21st century many times.

I proposed a new weight for SP, discuss, hammer, and Javelin similar to what weightlifting federation has done with new weight category.

I suggest the new weight for SP to be a tad smaller (200-400g), discuss and hammer a bit more. Javelin is already changed.

We may end up with non competitive event if a super athlete like Adams appear on a scene.

7. Collapse Details

As "predictable" as it might be, Valerie Adams has actually helped wSP get back into some sort of limelight. Most casual t&f fans actually know of her, while they might not have been able to name any wSPer before.

Also, I have to agree with the previous posters that they are not "weak girls" as much as powerful and athletic women subjected to proper drug-control.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by eldanielfire View Post
    If we are honest, there is more spectator interest in Valerie Adams then the whole of men's Shot Putt who are equally not throwing as far as their predecessors many years ago.
    I disagree. Men SP is not disappointing at all; it's true that the measures are not the same of years ago, but we are not that far. There are many men capable of throwing 22+ (both young, like Kovacs and Storl, and old, like Cantwell and Hoffa) and the competition is often interesting because you don't know who is going to win. And there are new interesting youngsters (Walsh, Crouser, Gill himself...) who are going to throw very far in the future.
    Women shot put is different. Adams is in a class of her own (but I fear her best is now behind her) but there aren't new talents (Gong, just 25, PRed 5 years ago... Kolodko didn't approach 20 metres again..) and the discipline is getting disappointing.

9. Collapse Details

I regret, that the incredible intensity of workout of shot putters in faded decades is not discussed.
    Female shot putters of the 80 ´s were faster than the girls of today. Which athlete of today is as quick as Fibingerova was?
    http://www.docstoc.com/docs/73322781...LE-SHOT-PUTTER

10. Collapse Details

True, maybe (more than maybe) they weren't clean but their technique and speed were fair superior.