Thread: New heart valve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    New heart valve
    Just out of hospital with a new Aortic Valve for my ticker. Thank God for modern technology. It's a cow valve, so I have to keep out of the meat counter at the Grocery store. At 73 I have fix that a few decades ago wouldn't have been available.

2. Collapse Details

Friend of my got one of those cow valves 7 years ago... he's doing great with it and so will you. Good luck to you !

3. Collapse Details

good to hear you are doing good...but could they not give you a "bull" valve? (smiley)

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    good to hear you are doing good...but could they not give you a "bull" valve? (smiley)
    I don't know. I just hope I don't have a tendency to moo...n people. But I do have a great scar for the pool. I have an octogenarian friend whose father died at 60 because of valve stenosis- no surgery options. My friend got it done at 60. What a difference a generation makes.

5. Collapse Details

Good luck. I was wondering why I did not see you in the Dutch EC pool.
    A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact.

Thomas Henry Huxley

6. Collapse Details

jeremy, Glad you are doing well!

7. Collapse Details

Thanks for all the best wishes guys. I'm about at 80 Percent. Apparently cutting into the heart is some kind of trauma.

8. Collapse Details

Just got my hospital bill. Part 1. Still waiting for Surgeon's bill. I love reading the charges, knowing that I won't pay a dime, except of course for the premiums I've paid out. I'm also always stunned at the charges, knowing that no-one ever pays that much. Total bill-so far- is 151,000 bucks. Lab and pharmacy bill: 21,000. Supplies and devices: 44,000. OR: 70,000.
    I have a friend who wants a low invasive procedure, but isn't frail enough for medicare to pay for it, so he's going to pay for it himself. They quoted him 350,000 bucks for it. He 's wealthy and will fork it out. The amazing costs of medical care!

9. Collapse Details

If it is "medically necessary", Medicare will cover it. If not, why do it ? Based on what you have said here it does not add up. Also, the cost of Medicare supplements is quite low... why anyone of any means at all would not havea supplement is a puzzle to me.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by dukehjsteve View Post
    If it is "medically necessary", Medicare will cover it. If not, why do it ? Based on what you have said here it does not add up. Also, the cost of Medicare supplements is quite low... why anyone of any means at all would not havea supplement is a puzzle to me.
    For valve replacement there are 3 ways to do it. 1. Open chest. 2. Through the ribs. 3. Through the vein. The latter, a TAVR, is only paid for by medicare if the patient is too frail to undergo 1&2. My friend wasn't frail enough. Also he just told me his cost is what Medicare would pay: 77,000. The reason medicare will only pay for TAVR is due to it being too new and untried, and research shows it's riskier for strokes and other issues.