Thread: John Wayne

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33
  1. Collapse Details
     
    #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Per Andersen View Post
    Victor McLaglen? He was a boxer. I saw the Quiet Man. McLaglen and Wayne spent most of the movie fighting each other.

    I would never compare the likes of Harrison Ford to John Wayne. Wayne was effective and very good at what he did. Favorites: The Searchers and Liberty Valance.
    No - one of the producers of The Quiet Man was Lord Killanin, the IOC President from 1972-80
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #22
    bambam - my google cheat process yielded the same thing. I can't, in good conscience, take any credit, knowing what I didn't know. So I throw myself at the feet of the TFN message board trivia court.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,805
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Say wha? The premise is that he is a grumpy old man who wants nothing to do with Mattie and helps her for the money.
    Oh! Faux Hollywood cynical.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    in the aft'c's'le of my life
    Posts
    662
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
    Oh! Faux Hollywood cynical.
    ??!! EVERYthing in Hollywood is faux. That's their reality!
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #25
    I wouldn't say for a minute that Wayne was a bad actor!
    I believed every word he said!
    Which can't be said of some lines delivered by Laurence Olivier!
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #26
    John Wayne was a mans man... he projected power and courage and well, true grit ! .. I cant find a comparison with him today.... the guy that most filled the void left by Wayne was Clint Eastwood. It is safe to say that Eastwoods characters were far more cynical and self serving than Wayne. Probably says more about the culture than either man.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    in the aft'c's'le of my life
    Posts
    662
    Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    John Wayne was a mans man
    If you mean he embodied Hollywood's cliche of a man, yes he did.
    If you mean he stood for what a man should be, definitely not. The Hollywood cliche he embodied was chauvinistic, sexist, violent (perhaps psychopathologically so), and unable to express a wide range of honest emotions.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    If you mean he embodied Hollywood's cliche of a man, yes he did.
    If you mean he stood for what a man should be, definitely not. The Hollywood cliche he embodied was chauvinistic, sexist, violent (perhaps psychopathologically so), and unable to express a wide range of honest emotions.
    I think you meant to say Hollywood's former cliché of a man, that is about right, Hollywoods' present lexicon of clichés has no understanding of what a man is. They are self-creating unisex beings living in a fantasy future where the y chromosome is a relic of the past.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    in the aft'c's'le of my life
    Posts
    662
    Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    Hollywoods' present lexicon of clichés has no understanding of what a man is. They are self-creating unisex beings living in a fantasy future where the y chromosome is a relic of the past.
    No argument from me! ;-)
    Women = strong empowered female with perfect face, hair and SMOKIN body.
    Man = sensitive subservient arm-candy to the female, who just also happens to have washboard abs and Oliveresque delts.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    beyond help
    Posts
    10,574
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    No argument from me!
    Women = strong empowered female with perfect face, hair and SMOKIN body.
    Man = sensitive subservient arm-candy to the female, who just also happens to have washboard abs and Oliveresque delts.
    You guys have got to be kidding me. How many examples of ultimate testosterone loaded machismo from recent movies do you want? Utter nonsense like Riddick for example? If anything, Hollywood is deviating more and more from reality if that's even possible.
    A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact.


    Thomas Henry Huxley
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •