Thread: John Wayne

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33
  1. Collapse Details
     
    #11
    bambam - I would be astonished with anyone producing an answer anywhere near the ballpark without 'cheating' - which is usually what I have to do
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,908
    John Wayne was a presence, he didn't act. I watched Bogart recently: same thing. I think today's versions would be: Harrison Ford, and Bruce Willis, Sly Stallone.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #13
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    What is the Olympic connection to Wayne's movie The Quiet Man?
    Victor McLaglen? He was a boxer. I saw the Quiet Man. McLaglen and Wayne spent most of the movie fighting each other.

    I would never compare the likes of Harrison Ford to John Wayne. Wayne was effective and very good at what he did. Favorites: The Searchers and Liberty Valance.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Trying to gut it out in this chilly 60-degree Fla winter
    Posts
    1,264
    Quote Originally Posted by Per Andersen View Post
    I would never compare the likes of Harrison Ford to John Wayne.
    Ford never had Wayne's gravitas, but, like Wayne, he always played a stylized version of himself, just as Robert Downey does.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,908
    Quote Originally Posted by Per Andersen View Post
    Victor McLaglen? He was a boxer. I saw the Quiet Man. McLaglen and Wayne spent most of the movie fighting each other.

    I would never compare the likes of Harrison Ford to John Wayne. Wayne was effective and very good at what he did. Favorites: The Searchers and Liberty Valance.
    It wasn't a comparison of stature, it was a comparison of acting limitations. John Wayne's stature was as a macho, heroic, frontiersman. Ford is the modern man, more complex, and nuanced, but still limited in what he can portray.
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,908
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Ford never had Wayne's gravitas, but, like Wayne, he always played a stylized version of himself, just as Robert Downey does.
    The modern hero is seen differently. Guys like Wayne wouldn't work today, because we're more cynical. A close Wayne type on TV these days is the captain on "Last Ship." Humorless, stoic, in on every piece of action. Very retrograde.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Trying to gut it out in this chilly 60-degree Fla winter
    Posts
    1,264
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
    Guys like Wayne wouldn't work today, because we're more cynical.
    True Grit is arch-cynical. Hollywood had already arrived at that destination when Wayne was still thriving. Other 'modern' films of his:
    The Shootist
    Rooster Cogburn (TG2)
    Brannigan
    McQ
    Cahill
    The Cowboys
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #18
    bambam - I'll wait until this evening then give it my 'cheating' guess
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,908
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    True Grit is arch-cynical. Hollywood had already arrived at that destination when Wayne was still thriving. Other 'modern' films of his:
    The Shootist
    Rooster Cogburn (TG2)
    Brannigan
    McQ
    Cahill
    The Cowboys
    Arch Cynical? I can't think of any role played by Wayne that was cynical.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Trying to gut it out in this chilly 60-degree Fla winter
    Posts
    1,264
    Say wha? The premise is that he is a grumpy old man who wants nothing to do with Mattie and helps her for the money.
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •