Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details

By no means do I expect SHSU to win, but I also didn't expect Georgia Southern to beat the Gates.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    Commentary on cupcake-scheduling practices.

Some major examples:
    LSU (10-3): Sam Houston State, Louisiana-Monroe and New Mexico State (2-10). That isn't "nonconference," that's "noncompetitive." Try USC, Oklahoma and Florida State next time….>>
    LSU plays Wisconsin but they refused to play a home/away set; they would not travel to play at Wisconsin under essentially any conditions.

3. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Didn't I read somewhere once that Florida hasn't played an out-of-Conference game west of the Mississippi in decades?

4. Collapse Details

Didn't I read somewhere once that Florida hasn't played an out-of-Conference game west of the Mississippi in decades?
    Indeed. USC in LA 1983. They play left coast teams, but always in Gainesville.

and it's been even longer since the season opener wasn't in G'ville - 1980! And that game was in Tampa, a coupla hours away.
    Last edited by Atticus; 08-15-2014 at 10:06 PM.

5. Collapse Details

Not sure about decades, but not in the last decade.

6. Collapse Details

Gotta give USC props, since 2004, they've played.

Virg Tech
    BYU
    Arkansas twice
    Nebraska twice
    Boston College
    Ohio State
    Notre Dame numerous

And are usually in conferemce by their third game.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dixon View Post
    Gotta give USC props, ...
    And are usually in conferemce by their third game.
    Part of that is that the PAC-xx (however many are in the conference this year), play 9 conference games and 3 non-conference games. Most conferences only play 8 conference games, which leaves room for 4 non-conference games.

As a Gator alum, I will stick up for them. With Florida St. on the schedule every Thanksgiving weekend, they have zero desire to find another out of conference opponent that is anything but a sure thing (on paper).

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by mcgato View Post
    Part of that is that the PAC-xx (however many are in the conference this year), play 9 conference games and 3 non-conference games. Most conferences only play 8 conference games, which leaves room for 4 non-conference games.

As a Gator alum, I will stick up for them. With Florida St. on the schedule every Thanksgiving weekend, they have zero desire to find another out of conference opponent that is anything but a sure thing (on paper).
    It was the quality of opposition they played in those non conference games I was referring to. And few Pac12 team are in conference after two games. Oregon always starts league in the 4th week. Yes I know USC plays ND every year is why they don't have the usual three "preseason" games up front. Which is why you give them props, scheduling ND ever year sure beats....Savannah St, Bethune Cookman etc etc.