Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    "disgraceful scheduling by NCAA football powers"
    Administrator
    Commentary on cupcake-scheduling practices.

Some major examples:

<<Alabama (11-2): If it isn't embarrassing enough to be playing Florida Atlantic and Southern Mississippi in September, the Crimson Tide play their next-to-last game against Western Carolina. That's just inexcusable. Start over while you have the chance.

Auburn (12-2): Nonconference games against San Jose State (apologies, Spartan fans), Louisiana Tech and - again, with just two weeks left in the season - Samford, a 4,800-student private school in Alabama. It's almost like somebody's playing a practical joke of some kind.

(While we're on the subject, check out these other games scheduled for Nov. 22, such a crucial late stage of the season: Clemson-Georgia State, Florida-Eastern Kentucky and Georgia-Charleston Southern. Nothing like a tidy 66-0 win to carry into Thanksgiving week.)

LSU (10-3): Sam Houston State, Louisiana-Monroe and New Mexico State (2-10). That isn't "nonconference," that's "noncompetitive." Try USC, Oklahoma and Florida State next time….>>

full story here:

http://www.sfgate.com/college/jenkin...rs-5684865.php

2. Collapse Details

The reason the SEC does this is because they are so much better than anyone else. Just by virtue of the conference schedule, they have much tougher schedules than anyone else. It's just asking for the kids to get injured if LSU, in addition to Wisconsin, scheduled another major conference opponent. Georgia needs a week off late in the season. They open with Clemson and also have to play Georgia Tech non conference. Auburn has to play a non divisional game against Georgia, just like every year. Alabama opens against West Virginia. The SEC teams play the toughest schedules in the country, hands down. The other teams get off weeks during the conference season, when they play Iowa State, Washington State, Indiana, Virginia, etc.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    Some major examples:
    Clemson-Georgia State
    The big bad Florida Gators wish they had taken your advice!

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post

Some major examples:

<<Alabama (11-2): If it isn't embarrassing enough to be playing Florida Atlantic and Southern Mississippi in September, the Crimson Tide play their next-to-last game against Western Carolina. That's just inexcusable. Start over while you have the chance.

Auburn (12-2): Nonconference games against San Jose State (apologies, Spartan fans), Louisiana Tech and - again, with just two weeks left in the season - Samford, a 4,800-student private school in Alabama. It's almost like somebody's playing a practical joke of some kind.

(While we're on the subject, check out these other games scheduled for Nov. 22, such a crucial late stage of the season: Clemson-Georgia State, Florida-Eastern Kentucky and Georgia-Charleston Southern. Nothing like a tidy 66-0 win to carry into Thanksgiving week.)

LSU (10-3): Sam Houston State, Louisiana-Monroe and New Mexico State (2-10). That isn't "nonconference," that's "noncompetitive." Try USC, Oklahoma and Florida State next time….>>

full story here:

http://www.sfgate.com/college/jenkin...rs-5684865.php
    I've been complaining about this forever. Sure we all know why it's done but it still sucks.

But...

With the new 4 teams playoff scenario the first time we see a case of...."well if Auburn (whoever) hadn't played such a weak schedule" we'll see this LSU vs Savannah State thing becoming a thing of the past.

You gotta give Oklahoma State big props and FSU also, they play Aug30th.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dixon View Post
    I've been complaining about this forever. Sure we all know why it's done but it still sucks.
    Here is a case where your opinion does not count at all. The two programs both see a BIG benefit (rest/prep break vs. $$$) and therefore it makes PERFECT sense to schedule a 'bye' opponent. You don't like it as a fan, but the big programs have bigger fish to fry than your needs.

6. Collapse Details

Regarding the Nov. 22 games in the SEC, most SEC teams have their big rivalry game on Thanksgiving weekend. An easier game the week before is very welcome. And the SEC championship is the week after the big rivalry game, so that is always a tough back to back for whoever ends up in the championship game.

I'm a little tired of people slagging on the SEC non-conference schedule though. Florida always plays Florida St. Also see the annual Georgia-Georgia Tech, Clemson-South Carolina.

Since 2010, Alabama has played Penn St. twice, Michigan, Virginia Tech, and this year West Virginia.
    Since 2010, Auburn has played Clemson three times, Washington St., and this year Kansas St.
    Since 2010, LSU has played North Carolina, Oregon, Washington, TCU, and this year Wisconsin.
    Do they play a lot of easy teams? Yes. Mostly those games give no indication of how good the SEC teams are, so I just ignore them. The SEC plays enough good non-conference teams to figure out how good they are overall.

I wish the NCAA would force the major conferences to play against each other more, but I'm not holding my breath.

7. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Those of you jumping to defend the SEC must not have read the whole article, from which I just quoted the top.

It then goes on to slag Michigan State ("that's just a complete absence of pride"), Missouri ("once finished with the comedy portion of the show"), Nebraska ("amid all this nonsense"), Northwestern ("Eastern Illinois wasn't available") and Arizona ("really?").

8. Collapse Details

I wouldn't blow off Sam Houston State, and that's the week after LSU opens with Wisconsin.

9. Collapse Details

These games are necessary for the (vast majority of) division one schools that lose money on football

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by smc View Post
    I wouldn't blow off Sam Houston State, and that's the week after LSU opens with Wisconsin.
    SHS will have a rookie QB this season, now add the game is at LSU. No problem saying 45-10 ish. And that's with Miles calling off the dogs.