Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

I remember he was on Carson one night, and he started doing some shtick where he made a noise as though the the crowd was roaring its approval at him (kind of a hoarse whispering effect - as though heard from afar). Even though he was doing it for himself, he seemed to be visibly encouraged by it and became more and more manic - which brought more crowd roars (still from himself). It became apparent that he literally FED off that kind of affirmation, almost as it were a fix he needed. Of course the studio audience started going (real) nuts and Johnny couldn't shut him up. They eventually went to commercial with him still going strong. I agree with the statement form the link above - how can that kind of infinite energy be stilled? Only by himself, I guess. He once said that all his material was based on Jonathan Winters' riffs, and I can only imagine that was JW's (a comic master himself) greatest compliment.
    Last edited by Atticus; 08-12-2014 at 08:06 PM.

2. Collapse Details

Administrator
    How deeply ingrained was Robin Williams in the Bay Area psyche? The San Francisco Chronicle today devoted 3/4 of the front page to him, and then 3 full pages inside.

3. Collapse Details

"What's the pre-cooked weight on that lab?"
    This clip shows the true measure of his genius and his humanity -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD9QAAEfQEA

One of the funniest comedians and most talented actors ever.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    This clip shows the true measure of his genius and his humanity -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD9QAAEfQEA
    One of the funniest comedians and most talented actors ever.
    Boy, does that bring back military memories! I'll say something blasphemous (which I'm SURE Williams was also thinking!): whenever I heard 'Retreat' (flag lowering ceremony) esp. at the Naval Academy where ALL motion stopped and suddenly everyone faced Mecca, I mean, the flagpole, it was a surreal experience - everyone has simultaneously lost they mind, turned into alien robots and are returning to the Mother Ship. I 'respected' the ritual, but I sure didn't get it. I guess that's because I have no problem with people BURNING the American flag - that's a privilege I was in the military to protect. Truth being, however, I always wondered why they just didn't emigrate; if America is so bad you have to disrespect it THAT much, essentially dishonoring everyone who lost their lives fighting for that flag, just leave.
    Williams showed extraordinary restraint (and humor) in his response.

5. Collapse Details

I can't imagine anyone hanging themself. How can life be that bad?

6. Collapse Details

It had nothing to do with the 'bad'ness of his life; it had everything to do with a clinical depression that does not allow the mind to make rational choices.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    It had nothing to do with the 'bad'ness of his life; it had everything to do with a clinical depression that does not allow the mind to make rational choices.
    I was under the impression he wasn't suffering from "clinical" depression. He himself said that no that wasn't the case. If this had been changed I wasn't aware of it.

No not going off into this, it's not important.
    Last edited by Dixon; 08-13-2014 at 01:55 AM.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dixon View Post
    I can't imagine anyone hanging themself. How can life be that bad?
    You'd be surprised!
    Anyway, Willams was my favourite comedian and the best talk show guest ever.

9. Collapse Details

Interesting piece entitled "Robin Williams and the Myth of "Battling" Depression." Not being a psychiatrist or psychologist, I've no idea whether it is scientifically sound.

http://flavorwire.com/472027/robin-w...ng-depression/

10. Collapse Details

That was the point of my comment above. You can, technically, fight Depression with drugs and therapy and esp. familial support, but sometimes the war is virtually unwinnable.