Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details

Piling on . . . :-(

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Piling on . . . :-(
    I think that could be said of all Darwin Award nominations. :-)

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    I think that could be said of all Darwin Award nominations. :-)
    I'm inclined to believe that some Darwin nominees are of 'diminished capacity' and thereby bring it on themselves, e.g. trying to 'show off' and literally not having enough sense to realize the dangers inherent. I think Ward believed that Stewart had mightily aggrieved him and was looking for some sort of vengeance. His lack of 'anger management' is what killed him. His rage blinded him. I feel badly for all Darwin 'winners', but Ward's case differs in the empathy I feel. I may be way off base here.

4. Collapse Details

Yeah. Sorry, but the kid looked like he was trying to fight Tony Stewart. He stepped to him. You can't win a fight like that.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I'm inclined to believe that some Darwin nominees are of 'diminished capacity' and thereby bring it on themselves, e.g. trying to 'show off' and literally not having enough sense to realize the dangers inherent. I think Ward believed that Stewart had mightily aggrieved him and was looking for some sort of vengeance. His lack of 'anger management' is what killed him. His rage blinded him. I feel badly for all Darwin 'winners', but Ward's case differs in the empathy I feel. I may be way off base here.
    No you're quite right, and I was sort of kidding about the whole Darwin thing. It just seemed to me that, as two other posters pointed out early in this thread, "Running out onto the track mid-race . . . . at night while wearing black . . ." was not a very clever thing to do. But yes, Ward's lack of anger management was a bit different from lack of judgment due to lack of intelligence or due to drug or alcohol impairment, which are more common traits of Darwin "winners". But there is a common element in all of these cases--a dangerously reduced understanding of the possible consequences of one's actions.