Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Tony Stewart racing incident
    I'm going to assume we don't have any dirt track (motor racing) experts here. But does anyone have any un-expert thoughts on that incident, which is widely available on You Tube?

I think Tony's temper got the best of him. I don't think he meant to kill him, but I think he tried to scare him.

2. Collapse Details

Running out onto the track mid-race . . .

3. Collapse Details

. . . at night while wearing black . . .

4. Collapse Details

Methinks these race car guys get a bit too macho. You gotta get out of that car, and show you are a man by waving and shouting !! ( ?? ) On a race track with racing cars, in the dark ??? Hello, McFly, anybody home ???
    I am very sorry someone had to die, but his macho-ness got ahead of his brain. As to Stewart, a seriously doubt he is at all culpable. But he's a hard guy to like and is now suffering for that.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BillVol View Post
    I'm going to assume we don't have any dirt track (motor racing) experts here. But does anyone have any un-expert thoughts on that incident, which is widely available on You Tube?

I think Tony's temper got the best of him. I don't think he meant to kill him, but I think he tried to scare him.
    I agree. I've watched the video several times, and although it's impossible to know what thinking prompted Stewart's actions, it seems that his sudden acceleration and turning of the front wheels toward the outside of the track was intentional for whatever reason. To me it looked like it was to scare Ward with a "screw you" gesture.

Due the the risk of fire and other reasons, drivers often try to get out of their cars whenever possible after a crash once the yellow flag is out. And unfortunately other drivers, including Mr. Stewart, often do the same type of thing Mr. Ward did when a yellow flag is out and they're angry with another driver for causing them to crash. Ward's actions definitely contributed here, but it's just my opinion that Stewart's apparent choice to not slow down and to not try to avoid Ward also contributed to the tragedy.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BillVol View Post

Plus foolishness on the part of the kid who was killed. I would expect NASCAR to at least put out some kind of sanction or fine. Maybe a wrist slap but the message has to go out to prevent future deadly accidents.

It has been said that many NASCAR fans love to see the fights. I don't know whether there are rules such that these guys are getting fined for bad behavior but there should be.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Blues View Post
    Ward's actions definitely contributed here, but it's just my opinion that Stewart's apparent choice to not slow down and to not try to avoid Ward also contributed to the tragedy.
    I would put about 99% of blame on Ward, 1% on Stewart.

8. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Check out the reaction Cowherd's analysis.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/coli...-accident.html

9. Collapse Details

Back in the day when track was a major sport, were there newspaper columnists who made stupid hot takes about track athletes? Or is the "says something controversial: My column" phenomenon something that simply didn't exist back then?
    Last edited by JumboElliott; 08-13-2014 at 01:40 AM.

10. Collapse Details

I'm mildly surprised that nobody has nominated Ward for a Darwin Award. :-(