Thread: The NFL?

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

it should be obvious to all that football is a sport filled with great athletes at every position. How many potential talents at the discus or shot or LJ are out there no one really knows but it is more than a few.

2. Collapse Details

Bottom line - I'd rather see a high-end track meet (HS, college or open) than an NFL game. I'll see one NFL game this season (when Luck comes to town!), but that's more for the spectacle and social reasons than because I 'enjoy' the game. On the other hand, if Bortles turns out to be the real thing and the Jags actually start winning, I'll be all in! BTW, I watched Johnny Football in his game the other day and he's still got it! I will watch him on my DVR.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    Action? Bunch of fat guys bumping into each other.

I already watch the sport with the greatest athletes walking the planet -- track and field.
    ^ This.

Anyone living in the US has been already overexposed to NFL (or football in general). If you don't like it, you are not likely to change your mind.

BTW, if you are into "fat guys bumping into each other" you might find Sumo wrestling interesting.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Bottom line - I'd rather see a high-end track meet (HS, college or open) than an NFL game. I'll see one NFL game this season (when Luck comes to town!), but that's more for the spectacle and social reasons than because I 'enjoy' the game. On the other hand, if Bortles turns out to be the real thing and the Jags actually start winning, I'll be all in! BTW, I watched Johnny Football in his game the other day and he's still got it! I will watch him on my DVR.
    I'd also rather see a high level track meet than a regular season NFL game. But other than the Worlds/Olympics I 'd rather see an NFL playoff game than a high level track meet.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    it should be obvious to all that football is a sport filled with great athletes at every position. How many potential talents at the discus or shot or LJ are out there no one really knows but it is more than a few.
    There are at least a dozen 26 foot and better long jumpers who have played in the NFL, about the same number of sub 14.00 hurdlers. And a ton, like in TON of sub 9.5/10.40 sprinters. Not sure about weightmen but ya know there's been a lot.

No other sport has as many former track athletes as pro football.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dixon View Post
    Not sure about weightmen but ya know there's been a lot.
    Michael Carter says hello.

7. Collapse Details

burtle-dixon ::: trackster/sprinter? ... footballer?
    according to your own posts on other message boards
    track: you ran 10.8 YARDS, 24.hi YARDS, 54.hi YARDS
    football: you played 2yrs at a tiny high school in visalia
    after that it was playground stuff
    every time you bring up that stuff, i.e., sprinter footballer 'with quicks'
    give me a break. Methinks you talk about this stuff because you never were and never coulda been
    more brutal honesty

8. Collapse Details

Administrator
    I haven't been to an NFL game in more than a decade. What a colossal waste of time in person. Non-stop assault on the senses makes it impossible to communicate, and discussing plays is one of the great pleasures of the game in the first place.

And we won't' even get into the number of timeouts for various reasons. Makes baseball seem like it's being played on speed in comparison.

On the other hand, they've made it a great TV spectacle. You can multi-task and not miss a thing. So I watch it almost exclusively at home, where I'm in charge of anything. Even sports bars can be bad where you can't hear the TV dialogue.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by no one View Post
    burtle-dixon ::: trackster/sprinter? ... footballer?
    according to your own posts on other message boards
    track: you ran 10.8 YARDS, 24.hi YARDS, 54.hi YARDS
    football: you played 2yrs at a tiny high school in visalia
    after that it was playground stuff
    every time you bring up that stuff, i.e., sprinter footballer 'with quicks'
    give me a break. Methinks you talk about this stuff because you never were and never coulda been
    more brutal honesty
    You brought it up.

I played 20 years organized football, and ran track all through school. I played HS** football, Naval base football and city flag football. At over 220 pounds I had great quicks, just lacked "speed endurance" for a 100m, but had a great burst. I also had that agility and elusiveness.

My Fortress of Solitude, choked full of football trophies. I played on one of the states top flag teams in the Goshen Bombers.

You asked.

** Mt Whitney HS was/is hardly tiny.
    Last edited by Dixon; 08-12-2014 at 01:24 AM.

10. Collapse Details

gh

I totally agree about watching the game in person, no thank you! It's just too big a hassle and too much $$$$$$$$$$.

Give me the easy chair that 42 inch HD tv and an ice chest beside me. Oh yeah, and the flicker.