Thread: 60 years ago

1. Collapse Details
    60 years ago
    For us old timers. A great race between two great milers in Vancouver at the Commonwealth games. A great lead up. One had broken 4 minutes for the first time and the other had broken that record shortly afterwards. The race itself was the classic strength versus speed and it lived up to expectations. How often does that happen these days? I was 13 and listened to it in London on the Radio.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
    For us old timers. A great race between two great milers in Vancouver at the Commonwealth games. A great lead up. One had broken 4 minutes for the first time and the other had broken that record shortly afterwards. The race itself was the classic strength versus speed and it lived up to expectations. How often does that happen these days? I was 13 and listened to it in London on the Radio.
    Looks like we are of the same age, and similar memories. How soon after the race was it shown on BBC TV?

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by catson52 View Post
    Looks like we are of the same age, and similar memories. How soon after the race was it shown on BBC TV?
    Fairly soon. I also remember it on Pathe news at the movies.

4. Collapse Details

Huh, ESPN even has an article about it. Plus some about Jim Peters almost dying the same day.
    http://espn.go.com/sports/endurance/...-running-world

5. Collapse Details

I remember that much was made of Landy's looking the "wrong way." Even Bannister remarked on it. But it seems clear from the video that the action in question took place at the head of the straight and that Landy showed no capability to draw closer to Bannister.

6. Collapse Details

I watched it on a friend's little black/white TV, first TV in the neighbourhood. It is one of my earliest TV-watching memories, and it was pretty exciting stuff for a little 8-year old!

7. Collapse Details

Administrator
    I was 7 and we were camping in the interior of BC, few hundred miles from Vancouver, and I remember wondering why my parents (as I've recounted in the past, many times, I'm sure) kept talking about the thing that I held onto when I went upstairs to my bedroom.

(camping in an Austin A40, for those of you of an age!) (my sister was 4, small enough to fit between my parents, while I lay on top of all the camping equipment in the back seat. Can you imagine what you'd think of parents who had their kid do that in this day and age?)

8. Collapse Details

Bannister was a racer and Landy was a fast runner. Yet, if they had raced 5 times probably Landy would win 3...just running faster than Bannister could stay close enough to kick and win. IMHO.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BYU grad View Post
    Bannister was a racer and Landy was a fast runner. Yet, if they had raced 5 times probably Landy would win 3...just running faster than Bannister could stay close enough to kick and win. IMHO.
    I think Bannister could have run faster than 3:58.8. Had the Oxford race taken place in Turku conditions I think 3:57 would mot have been out of the question.