Thread: 24 Days...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Blues View Post
    Just as one example off the top of my head, I watched Michael Ray Garvin win the all-groups New Jersey scholastic 100m championship back in 2005...

As a cornerback for the Seminoles, he was also a 7 time All-American sprinter at FSU and had personal bests of 10.19 and 20.58, and was a member of the championship 2007 NCAA Outdoor 4x100 team (38.60) along with Greg Bolden, Walter Dix, and Charles Clark.
    Not saying FSU hasn't had a lot of sprinters, we just don't see many track/footballers like we do at other schools like Tennessee, Texas, Clemson etc.

Nobody can think of any for Oklahoma State and Sanders and Garvin for FSU, who else?

2. Collapse Details

Back in the day, 40s and 50s, a lot of Okla A&M football players ran track (sprinters) and threw the shot put... I don't recall that any football players were world/national class track athletes but..
    Coach Higgins took a team, including Bob Fenimore, to West Point and beat Blanchard and Davis in open 100 and relay. I remember Ronnie Bennet, a 9.7 running back sometimes played a baseball game and ran in a track meet on the same day.
    Coach Ralph Tate, who suceeded Higgins, played football both pre and post WWII and was a national class high hurdler and broad jumper.
    The Soergal twins played football, basket ball, baseball and ran track.. Danny, (or was it Donnie?) was the last four sport letterman at Okla A&M.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    Back in the day, 40s and 50s, a lot of Okla A&M football players ran track (sprinters) and threw the shot put... I don't recall that any football players were world/national class track athletes but..
    Coach Higgins took a team, including Bob Fenimore, to West Point and beat Blanchard and Davis in open 100 and relay. I remember Ronnie Bennet, a 9.7 running back sometimes played a baseball game and ran in a track meet on the same day.
    Coach Ralph Tate, who suceeded Higgins, played football both pre and post WWII and was a national class high hurdler and broad jumper.
    The Soergal twins played football, basket ball, baseball and ran track.. Danny, (or was it Donnie?) was the last four sport letterman at Okla A&M.
    Ok so we have to go way back to the 40's and 50's to find a couple who were decent. I think that pretty much says it.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dixon View Post
    Neither Oklahoma State or FSU have had the speedy track footballers so many other schools have had. You'd think FSU would had of alot of speed......nope!
    I wouldn't necessarily assume that FSU didn't have a lot of speed. I don't know every coach's philosophy when it comes to their athletes playing other sports too, but obviously certain coaches in both track and football aren't as agreeable as others when it comes to allowing their star athletes to participate in the other sport... So it's possible that certain talented track and field athletes or certain talented football players only did one of the two sports on the collegiate level at certain schools due to the preferences of the coaches, even though they could have excelled in the other sport as well.

5. Collapse Details

Looks like FSU might be using John Franklin III at receiver.

6. Collapse Details

Tomorrow...

7. Collapse Details

ancillary $.02: I sat next to Michael Ray Garvin's parents during NCAA champ meet in Sacramento several years back. Very nice people - they indicated they traveled around the country (Mainly east coast areas) watching football and track meets. If I recall correctly FSU won the 4x100 (could be wrong on that tho) and Michael ran 2nd or third leg. They also had a daughter who ran the hurdles for AZ state I believe but got eliminated in semis. They thought she was overly anxious therefore lost concentration. Quite an athletic family.

8. Collapse Details

It will be a tougher task but I am so looking forward to this game instead of a Savannah State opener.

9. Collapse Details

lonewolf - sooo close. OSU had their chances

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by no one View Post
    lonewolf - sooo close. OSU had their chances
    Yep, and Tyreek Hill looks like a very "useful" football player...some pretty nifty moves and great acceleration.. we may win a game of three this year after all.