Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

I hate these bullshit stimulant +ives that get splahed all over the media as 'DRUG CHEAT BUSTED'!!!

Read this for more info. Why is it even on the banned list............

http://sportsscientists.com/2010/12/...ment-industry/

2. Collapse Details

This is crazy.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Flumpy View Post
    I hate these bullshit stimulant +ives that get splahed all over the media as 'DRUG CHEAT BUSTED'!!!

My camp is growing. Slowly but surely ;-).
    A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact.

Thomas Henry Huxley

4. Collapse Details

I am inclined to agree w Pego's & Flumpy's comments & positions on this matter -- I did read the article Flumpy linked, and I have read a couple of others -- but I do have a couple of questions that perhaps can be commented upon by someone with scientific/medical training. I am not trying to get in an argument with anyone -- let me at least be clear on that point.

This substance is a stimulant, so in some respect it could perhaps be performance-enhancing in some way, to some extent, right? If that's true, to some extent, how might this substance compare with caffeine, in its effects? I couldn't get a clear sense from my reading of "how much" of a stimulant it is.

Does it have any sort of "masking agent" qualities? (I have no idea.)

What I did note in multiple readings, in any case, is that this substance seems dangerous -- whatever it might provide (if anything) in "enhancement," it also seems to offer, so to speak, serious enough side effects to be a health hazard, at least for some persons -- e.g., elevating blood pressure.

Seems like something athletes should be warned about, for sure. As for the other things, I would be interested to read more from someone in the know.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Master Po
    This substance is a stimulant, so in some respect it could perhaps be performance-enhancing in some way, to some extent, right?
    I have watched the use of stimulants in sports/recreational activities for many decades. There have been many studies and all of them conclude "it may enhance performance", "some scientists think..." and such. There have been a few, even posted on this board in the past that unequivocally concluded that there is a PED property to stimulants. The problem with those was that a methodology was flawed to say the least and to the best to my knowledge, nobody was able to reproduce those positive results.

I will just keep repeating my mantra, "Stimulants make you feel like Tarzan, but you perform like Jane."
    A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact.

Thomas Henry Huxley

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Pego View Post
    My camp is growing. Slowly but surely ;-).
    Some previously self-righteous posters have finally seen the light since their own countrymen have recently tested positive....

It was a different story when these athletes belonged to different countries.
    My heart is still in the Caribbean....

7. Collapse Details

My camp is growing. Slowly but surely .
    I've been in your camp all along. One problem may be that some recreational stimulants have the street label of "speed", which may seem to imply that they can help you run faster. But the only thing they speed up is chaotic mental functions. Generally they tend to make the body more inert. Stimulants are much more likely to be detrimental to performance. At most they might make you think you can perform better, but the enhanced performance will remain in the domain of thought.

8. Collapse Details

I will just keep repeating my mantra, "Stimulants make you feel like Tarzan, but you perform like Jane."
    Yes. The effect of stimulants on performance are psychological at best. Some may argue, therefore, that they have the potential to enhance performance because of the temporary mental exhilaration which may be produced. However, there are several problems with this reasoning. One problem is that stimulants also tend to make the body more sluggish. Another is that "performance-enhancing" has to mean physical performance (track and field is physical activity!) or it doesn't make any sense at all. Another is that you can get better mental stimulation to enhanced performance via a good pep-talk from your coach. Should that be banned?

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Flumpy View Post

Then you can stop referring to Justin Gatlin as a two time drug cheat and tell other people to, because his first "bust" was for a prescribed stimulant.

10. Collapse Details

Maybe they're banned because they're actually harmful, unlike anabolic steroids.

I can't think of many things more potentially catastrophic than high intensity activity after taking something that will increase your heart rate.