Thread: CWG W100m

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    CWG W100m
    First heat

VCB and Gloria Asumnu running in this heat....

1) VCB 11.29
    2) Asumnu 11.43
    3) Bailey of Barbados 11.64

All three advance....
    Last edited by shivfan; 07-27-2014 at 04:02 PM.
    My heart is still in the Caribbean....

2. Collapse Details

I missed the second heat....

Third heat

1) Calvert 11.30
    2) Sheniqua Ferguson

3. Collapse Details

Fourth heat

1) Bingham (Canada) 11.44

2) Michelle-Lee Ahye did not look good (11.52)...clearly still bothered by that leg injury.

4. Collapse Details

An Australian woman, Breen, who I'd never heard of won the second heat. Alot has been made in the last couple years about the men ducking each other, but one advantage that has is that there are alot more internationally recognizable men sprinters than women sprinters. I had seen all the top 2 men finishers in the heats race before. Maybe I just don't follow the women's 100m close enough, but the depth of field does not seem the same because the same 15-20 100m women race each other at every major meet.

5. Collapse Details

I missed the fifth heat....

Sixth heat

1) Kerron Stewart 11.35
    2) Bianca Williams

6. Collapse Details

Melissa Breen, the Aussie sprinter, has a PR of 11.11, run earlier this year.

She's 23, and ran in the 2008 World Juniors, finishing 3rd in her heat, not making the final.
    (Best time then was 11.33.)

She was chosen for the 2012 Olympics, but I can't find any info on whether she actually ran there!!

This past winter (Australian summer!!), she beat Sally Pearson in a 100 flat race (no hurdles), getting big recognition.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by shivfan View Post
    I missed the fifth heat....

Sixth heat

1) Kerron Stewart 11.35
    2) Bianca Williams
    I think Okagbare won the heat you missed, she was head and shoulders above the rest of the field.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by aaronk View Post
    Melissa Breen, the Aussie sprinter, has a PR of 11.11, run earlier this year.

She's 23, and ran in the 2008 World Juniors, finishing 3rd in her heat, not making the final.
    (Best time then was 11.33.)

She was chosen for the 2012 Olympics, but I can't find any info on whether she actually ran there!!
    If only there were some kind of Olympic database, like Sports-Reference, that covered all Olympic events and their participants and results. Or, failing that, an athlete database like Tilastopaja, keeping track of all notable athletes and their results in meetings across the world. Or, failing that, what if there were a more general resource like Wikipedia that would cover all major sporting events in detail!

Better still, imagine if the responsible official bodies (IOC and IAAF) kept records of Olympic results themselves, so we wouldn't have to rely on second-hand data!

Oh, wait.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by LopenUupunut View Post
    If only there were some kind of Olympic database, like Sports-Reference, that covered all Olympic events and their participants and results. Or, failing that, an athlete database like Tilastopaja, keeping track of all notable athletes and their results in meetings across the world. Or, failing that, what if there were a more general resource like Wikipedia that would cover all major sporting events in detail!

Better still, imagine if the responsible official bodies (IOC and IAAF) kept records of Olympic results themselves, so we wouldn't have to rely on second-hand data!

Oh, wait.
    And now you know why I started my own blog.....where at least 1 person (besides myself!! LOL) thinks I have vast knowledge & deep insights into the sport of T&F!

P.S. I checked Wikipedia, where no mention was made of any RESULTS Breen might have produced in London!!

P.P.S. Why didn't you use your SNARK against "Shivfan".....who said he'd never even HEARD of Breen.....let alone what she did (or didn't do) in the OG??!!

(The above was NOT any slam at Shivfan!! I was just saying that Lopen... was singling me out for attack!!)
    Last edited by aaronk; 07-27-2014 at 06:55 PM.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by aaronk View Post
    P.P.S. Why didn't you use your SNARK against "Shivfan".....who said he'd never even HEARD of Breen.....let alone what she did (or didn't do) in the OG??!!
    Because shivfan, if he were looking for information and given a link to a page containing it, would have clicked it, found the info he was looking for and said 'thanks'? Because never having heard of an athlete, even one with some accomplishments, is nothing to be ashamed of?