Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    that was the third question in my original post
    Your third question asked about the voice. My question asked about the legs. It turns out that they belonged to the same person, but I didn't know that when I asked the question.

(I had done some poking around, with Mr. G's help, to satisfy my curiosity about the tv show, which I couldn't remember the name of. That led me to the Wiki article on the tv series, which identified her only as the person whose legs were shown. The Wiki article on her mentions that she owned both the voice and the legs. Interestingly, her IMDB profile mentions only the voice.)

2. Collapse Details

Good night Mrs. Calabash wherever you are...

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jc203 View Post
    Good night Mrs. Calabash wherever you are...
    That's a good one, but the original question asked about people who played a big role. Mrs. Calabash, of course, was just part of that sign-off line, and never played a role in his shows.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by norunner View Post
    I did mean characters like Charlie from Charlie's Angels, who were regular people but never on camera for dramatic effect or so they could draw ridiculous pictures of them (Maris Crane being the perfect example). I have never seen Topper but it sounds like the characters very invisible because they were ghosts, so there was a valid reason for them to not be on camera.
    I forgot Norm's wife Vera from Cheers, i think we almost saw her but not her face.
    And we only heard Anne Southern's voice in My Mother The Car on the car radio - she was supposed to be reincarnated as the car but does that count?

5. Collapse Details

In the late 1950s sitcom December Bride, Harry Morgan's character always refers to his wife Gladys but she never appears. Later, he was the co-star in a early 1960s spin-off series ( I think it was Pete and Gladys) in which the wife was the co-star.
    Last edited by Halfmiler2; 07-17-2014 at 09:45 PM.

6. Collapse Details

I remember the legs under the telephone table and knowing they were the same person but still cant remember who she was.

7. Collapse Details

For those who don't want to do further research, the answer to gh's trivia question is answered in the first comment to the Mental Floss article linked above.

8. Collapse Details

Let's extend the original question to include movies, anyone know of movies from before the tv age that used similar "invisible" characters?
    World Champion

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by norunner View Post
    Let's extend the original question to include movies, anyone know of movies from before the tv age that used similar "invisible" characters?
    I'll go with Claude Rains as . . . The Invisible Man!

10. Collapse Details

A small film from Wayne Wong called "Chan is Missing" has the two main characters searching for the title character. I don't think Chan ever appears in the movie, but it has been a long time since I saw it.

I never saw it, but "Bunny Lake is Missing" sounds somewhat similar. The characters search for a missing child of the title. As the search continues, they start to wonder if the child even exists. Not sure if the child ever shows up though.

Not sure if there is a film version of "Waiting for Godot," but I don't think that Godot ever appears in the play. Again, been a while since I read it.