Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    The very first "invisible" tv character?
    Question
    There are many shows with characters that never actually show up, yet still play a big role, Mrs. Columbo, Ugly Naked Guy, Maris Crane, Mrs. Wolowitz, Diane on Twin Peaks and others. I was talking to some friends about this, we tried to come up with as many of these characters as we could, but even after checking online, we couldn't come up with an answer to the question posted in the title. Does anyone knows of examples before Mrs. Columbo (i know, she had her own tv show later, but i think she never showed up in the Columbo episodes)?
    World Champion

2. Collapse Details

'Topper', from the early 50s. Two main characters were ghosts and literally invisible.
    Last edited by Atticus; 07-16-2014 at 07:36 PM.

3. Collapse Details

Carlton the doorman in Rhoda comes to mind.

4. Collapse Details

The Shadow was one of the first. But according the Wiki, Topper was earlier.

5. Collapse Details

Administrator
    I only saw Topper when very young, and my recollection is that you got to see the characters, even though they were ghosts, no? I don't think that fits the category here.

Art Carney played in a 1958 TV version of the classic Jimmy Stewart movie Harvey, the invisible rabbit (non-speaking).

6. Collapse Details

Administrator
    In the "semi-invisible" category, include John Beresford Tipton, Jr. You heard his voice and saw only his arm on The Millionaire, 1955-60.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    I only saw Topper when very young, and my recollection is that you got to see the characters, even though they were ghosts, no?
    Cosmo Topper could see them (sometimes), but they were invisible to everyone else. The special effects were 'Plan 9 from Outer Space' silly, as things 'floated' by (on a string) when the invisible characters were carrying them.

I guess they need to go in a special sub-category of characters spoken to but you couldn't see them (sometimes).

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    In the "semi-invisible" category, include John Beresford Tipton, Jr. You heard his voice and saw only his arm on The Millionaire, 1955-60.
    Like Charlie, of Charlie's Angels.

9. Collapse Details

I did mean characters like Charlie from Charlie's Angels, who were regular people but never on camera for dramatic effect or so they could draw ridiculous pictures of them (Maris Crane being the perfect example). I have never seen Topper but it sounds like the characters very invisible because they were ghosts, so there was a valid reason for them to not be on camera.
    I forgot Norm's wife Vera from Cheers, i think we almost saw her but not her face.
    World Champion

10. Collapse Details

Administrator
    I think we may have seen Vera from the back once. There's also Sam's brother; don't think we ever saw his face either, although maybe some body parts?