Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Men's team, part 1 (track):

100 Robert Kubaczyk 10.37
    He's there for the relay; even making the semis would be a good result for him.

200 Karol Zalewski 20.42
    Young and an excellent championship performer, he's always set PBs when it mattered. Definite top 6, and possibly a medal contender, although it's hard to tell what sort of form people like Martina and Ndure will be in.

400 Jakub Krzewina 45.11, Łukasz Krawczuk 45.65, Rafał Omelko 45.66
    Krzewina looks like a medal contender, at least on paper. He's never competed at this level before, though, so it's hard to tell how he takes the rounds and whether he can stay healthy (constant injuries were the thing that prevented him from running fast before this year). His rivals are a bit of a mistery, too - can Hudson-Smith run sub-45 again? Will the Borlees come back to their best?
    Krawczuk and Omelko should make the semi, but are long shots to make the final.

800 Marcin Lewandowski 1:44.24, Adam Kszczot 1:44.50, Artur Kuciapski 1:46.04
    Lewandowski and Kszczot are no. 2 and 3 in Europe this year; it would be a major disappointment if Poland didn't get a medal here, and two medals is a distinct possibility. Bosse is much faster on paper, but if the race is slow, he's not unbeatable, either.
    Kuciapski has shown good form this year, and it wouldn't shock me if he made the final.

1500 Lewandowski 3:38.19
    The heats of this event are on the same day as the 800 final, so I think Lewandowski is entered here just in case something wrong happens and he misses the final of his main event. If he does compete, I can see him in the top 8. Challenging the podium is theoretically possible if the race is really slow.

Mar Henryk Szost 2:08:55, Yared Shegumo 2:10:41, Marcin Chabowski 2:11:23, Błażej Brzeziński 2:15:04
    I'm generally sceptical about our marathoners in major championships; usually, even if they do compete, they don't seem to take them seriously. Having said that, this year's team looks really strong. Szost is possibly the co-favorite with the newly naturalized Swiss Tadesse Abraham. Shegumo and Chabowski are capable of finishing in the top 8, and Brzeziński isn't that much slower (he has a 2:12 from last year). Looks like a good medal chance in the team event, too.

3000SC Krystian Zalewski 8:16.20, Mateusz Demczyszak 8:22.38
    Zalewski had a poor period in the middle of the season, but he seems to be getting back to the form he was in when he ran that 8:16. I wouldn't necessarily consider him a medal favorite, but he is the second fastest European this year, so podium finish is a possibility. Demczyszak should make the final, and top 8 is somewhat possible.

110H Dominik Bochenek 13.47, Artur Noga 13.51
    Noga is coming back from injury, so he should be getting faster, but I can't see him do more than take one the last places in the final. Bochenek could also potentially make the final if he runs at his best level, but it's somewhat less likely.

400H Patryk Dobek 49.52
    Had it not been for the mishap in Ostrava, he'd be a strong medal contender. As it is, he came back to form unexpectedly fast after fracturing his arm, and could still surprise. With his lack of experience with the hurdles, anything is possible: he could totally bomb out, or set a huge PB and get a medal. Making the final would not be a big surprise, though.

4x100 Kubaczyk, Zalewski, Dariusz Kuć, Kamil Masztak, Kamil Kryński, Adam Pawłowski
    Apart from Zalewski, they're just too slow individually to make a big impact (Kuć looked good early in the season, but then got injured and hasn't looked good since). Realistically, we're looking at something like 6th place, although a medal isn't totally out of the question if they have a great race and the top teams mess up.

4x400 Krzewina, Krawczuk, Omelko, Dobek, Andrzej Jaros, Kacper Kozłowski, Michał Pietrzak
    The team looked poor for most of the season, but after the NC, it suddenly became one of the favorites. As long as they maintain that form, they ought to be in the top 3 (I think the UK is the only team with faster sum of individual performances).
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

2. Collapse Details

Men's field and walks:

HJ Wojciech Theiner 2.32
    He's pretty high on the European list (currently no. 6), but he seems to be jumping well only in Poland. The top 3 are way ahead of him (and everyone else) anyway; I would be somewhat surprised if he finished in the top 8.

PV Piotr Lisek 5.82, Paweł Wojciechowski 5.75, Robert Sobera 5.65
    Lisek and Wojciechowski are no. 2 and 3 in Europe this season, but have shown very inconsistent form, so I can't say I have a lot of confidence in them. The good new is any of the 3 Poles could medal on a good day, and that gives you hope one of them will actually do it.

LJ Tomasz Jaszczuk 8.15, Adrian Strzałkowski 8.02
    Jaszczuk had a great jump at the NC, but having seen it on tv, I have to say he was very lucky for it not be called a foul. It's unlikely he can repeat that in Zurich, but might still finish in the top 8. Strzałkowski could surprise the way he did in Sopot, but it's more likely he won't do much.

SP Tomasz Majewski 21.04, Jakub Szyszkowski 20.09
    Until recently I considered Majewski the strong favorite for silver, but given his recent form, I'm not so sure now. His 21 meter put came earlier in the season, and his last 3 competitions were all in the 20.30 range. I still have medal hopes for him, given his proven ability to peak, but not with huge confidence. Szyszkowski may make it through qualifying, but top 8 is unlikely.

DT Piotr Małachowski 69.28, Robert Urbanek 65.75
    Małachowski has been beating everyone except Harting very consistenly this year and is the strong favorite for silver. Gold is possible, but unlikely. Urbanek hasn't looked as good as last year, but top 8 is definitely possible.

HT Paweł Fajdek 82.37, Szymon Ziółkowski 76.58
    I make Fajdek the favorite over Pars on the basis of his ability to peak. In any case, he definitely shouldn't finish lower than 2nd. Ziółkowski hasn't looked great this year, but he should still make the top 12, and with the level of the event being what it is this year, even top 8 is possible.

JT Łukasz Grzeszczuk 84.77
    Not the most consistent of performers, but he can throw 81+ semi-regularly, which may be enough for top 8, though it's more likely he won't.

20kW Rafał Fedaczyński 1:20:18
    He set a good PB this year, but did poorly in the World Cup; like most Polish 20k walkers, he doesn't seem to be able to do well in major competitions. Top 10 unlikely.

50kW Rafał Augustyn 3:45:32, Grzegorz Sudoł 3:52:53, Łukasz Nowak 3:43:38 (2013)
    Sudoł and Nowak have both got experience and history of doing well in championships. Top 8 is very possible; medal somewhat unlikely, but not out of the question. Nowak seems the better of the two, based on the results of the NC at 20k. I'd rate Augustyn's chances a bit lower, despite his fast time this year, but even he's got a chance of finishing in the top 8.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    But the UK has better depth (three runners in the 51s and one low 52), plus you'd expect TBO to run much faster in Zurich than she has been running so far this year.
    TBO is not the greatest relay runner of all time, though. I'm picking her to win the individual but I'd be surprised if she has the fastest split in the relay; of course, that's not saying UK aren't one of the favorites.

Incidentally, there's now an updated entry list that includes the relays (the original entry list, still linked on the front page, omitted them).

4. Collapse Details

You're right about TBO's relay running, of course, but the Brits have a team of 4 strong runners (by Euro standards) and don't have to rely on any one athlete gaining a lot of ground on the other teams.

5. Collapse Details

England only ran a 3:27 in Glasgow, doesn't spell favourite to me.
    World Champion

6. Collapse Details

True, but that was without Eilidh Child; adding her is easily worth 1.5 seconds I think. Their weaker legs will have to deliver if they want to win in Zürich, though.

7. Collapse Details

Child is not the thlete of last year and her speed is down on 2013 also.
    Her best this year of 52.4 is a full second slower than last year
    Last edited by bennyg; 08-06-2014 at 02:44 PM.

8. Collapse Details

and also why she did not break 55 secs in Glasgow despite the home town support.

9. Collapse Details

Karol Zalewski ran 46.05 in Copenhagen in what was the first individual 400 of his career (he's run relay legs before, including the team that won silver at the 2012 WJC). I wonder whether he'll now be considered for the 4x4 relay in Zurich... The final of that event is only 80 mins before the 4x1, in which Zalewski is by far the strongest link.
    Patryk Dobek also competed, but only ran 47.42, so he's almost certainly out as far as the relay is concerned.

10. Collapse Details

Is Powell on vacation? Ewa Swoboda (b.97) ran 11.30 with zero wind in Nanjing today, that's gotta break all sorts of polish records, youth, junior?
    World Champion